PDA

View Full Version : identification please-small white root like

weedmonger
08-24-2007, 07:03 PM
I have little groups of white branched out root looking things growing out of the LR in my 10 gallon nano reef. They almost look like up side down plants...like the plant is inside the LR and the roots are growing and hanging out. They do not respond to the touch and are pretty stiff at thier base. They branch out all over but are only about 1/2" to 3/4" long in their entirety. They are not symetrical like a featherduster and are more random like little leafless white trees without too many branches.

The tank is pretty healthy with no substantial death and acceptable parameters.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I keep web searching but can not find a photo that looks like these do.

I would include a photo but apparently I do not have the fancy digital camera that some of you do because it just looks like a white blob when I blow it up.

cocoa_pleco
08-24-2007, 08:12 PM
its aptasia. theyre little buggers and some crabs and fish eat them. aptasia may sting some corals and theyre considered a pest like algae.

weedmonger
08-24-2007, 08:47 PM
these are pure white and are not even as symetrical as aiptasia. They also do not respond to the touch like an anemone, but they definately SLOWLY grow. They are firm not fleshy.

cocoa_pleco
08-24-2007, 09:23 PM
hmmm, no idea

Dave66
08-24-2007, 10:47 PM
I'd have to see a photo, but it sounds like bryozones. They take all kinds of forms and colors, but that's what its likely to be. They show up in nearly every marine reef tank. No big deal.
And CP, Aptasia reacts violently when touched by retracting into its base.

Dave

weedmonger
08-25-2007, 08:39 PM
well I can't find a photo online that really shows what I see in my tank, but after reading the descriptions of bryozoans it sure sounds like what I have going on.

When I think about it they started really taking off when I began to add kalkwasser a couple months ago so it makes even more sense.

Thanks

Dave66
08-26-2007, 07:35 AM
well I can't find a photo online that really shows what I see in my tank, but after reading the descriptions of bryozoans it sure sounds like what I have going on.

When I think about it they started really taking off when I began to add kalkwasser a couple months ago so it makes even more sense.

Thanks

Glad to help, weedmonger. I use Calcium reactors with my reef tanks, and have always had bryozones all over. Wait 'til you see tunicates (sea squirts) show up in your tank lol

Dave