PDA

View Full Version : Wanna make a prop for my s/w aquarium....

DaveHaag
02-26-2012, 02:24 PM
I am looking into making a half of a old pirate style boat to put into my aquarium.... It is saltwater and I was wondering if balsa Wood would be ok to use? Also, I was thinking of possibly doin my idea with a WWII sub as well, would the plastic that a model is made of be ok for the aquarium?

Thanks all...good day!!!

Aeonflame
02-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Balsa wood would likely float and not sink for a very very long time. Also, it would need to be untreated and I'd imagine that it would rot fairly quickly once waterlogged.

Plastic is fine as long as it is unpainted. I wouldn't risk putting an unknown paint compound into my tank.

sheamurai
02-26-2012, 04:57 PM
The other concern with wood is the possible effect on pH.

homemadepopcorn
02-27-2012, 04:04 AM
Balsa wood would likely float and not sink for a very very long time. Also, it would need to be untreated and I'd imagine that it would rot fairly quickly once waterlogged.

Plastic is fine as long as it is unpainted. I wouldn't risk putting an unknown paint compound into my tank.

+1... the likelihood of balsa wood sinking in this century is slim to none. Hardwoods tend to get water logged much easier but of course they are substantially heavier, harder to work with and more expensive. I would make mine out of an untreated, inexpensive and readily available wood... maybe poplar? I'm not too sure of the wood choice.

Best of luck.

-hP

genocidex
02-27-2012, 04:22 AM
no one seems to mention the option of weighting it down with some safe clay and then clear coat the entire thing.... its an option just make sure you get a good clear coat.

DaveHaag
02-27-2012, 01:14 PM
I,figured I would weight it down with sand and rock...just like a real sunken ship, just half the ship showing, buried in the sand