PDA

View Full Version : Need Info for Easy to Raise Pond Fish in 4000 gal above ground pool

Kimo
02-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Greetings my name is Kimo (that’s Jim in Hawaiian). I am originally from Hawaii although been in Texas many years. In Hawaii we do a lot of water catchment for drinking water and other uses. I have a 2000 sq foot home in Austin, Texas and catching water from the roof into a 4000 gallon above ground pool. I can catch about a 1000 gal. if it rains one inch. I am currently using the water to irrigate but am thinking that I would like to learn if it would be possible to raise some fish to supplement my dogs and cats diet. I can aerate if necessary and even build a filter if needed. I am wondering if gold fish or some other easy to raise bait fish would be appropriate. I would like to be able to feed these fish scraps off the table, etc. Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated. Sincerely, Kimo

Aeonflame
02-26-2012, 02:13 PM
If you want to raise fish for any food purposes I would suggest tilapia. First check with your local authorities on the legality of this.

If it is okay to do, then its really quite simple. Its just a matter of feeding them since they are very hardy fish

dbosman
02-27-2012, 12:39 AM
Tilapia - if you can stand to know how dirty they can make the water. I will eat almost anything, but I have a bit of difficulty with Tilapia after seeing breeding and grow out facilities.
You will have to limit the number of fish in the container. If they breed - the water will be too dirty to filter, very quickly.

The water will be well fertilized for irrigation.

A potential problem will be the pool liner. Most are manufactured with fungicides and algacides in the vinyl.

DeadSulphurhead
03-10-2012, 04:12 PM
No, stay away from Goldfish/Koi if they are for consumption.
Tilapia is a good mention, as are bass and trout and other meaty game fish.
Obviously size is an issue though, as much as you want, no salmon lol
Being an above ground pool in Texas, do you keep tabs on the temperature? Even with 4000 g, being more exposed to the elements can drastically change temp in 24hrs. I'd recommend a chiller(s) in case of a heat wave, since I doubt you're worried about being too cold there.

DeadSulphurhead
03-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Forgot to mention, if you want a very hardy fish that breeds like crazy, can live in horrid conditions so you won't need a filter or araetion, anywhere from freezing to boiling, and is actually healthy to eat and tastes good. They even look like goldfish when young! lol Pretty much all snakehead fish other than the Giant Amazon snakehead.

Crispy
03-12-2012, 12:13 AM
all types of snakeheads are illegal in the US.

to the op: is your roof shingled? I'm wondering if the water runoff from the roof could contain any chemicals from the shingles? also small pieces could end up on the pool? just a caution

Lady Hobbs
03-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Not sure what happened to the OP. He wrote the question and never did come back to read his replies. Maybe his mind changed.