PDA

View Full Version : Camoflauging Pleco Rant

ekfishlover2011
02-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Steve, my rubber-nose pleco, likes to camouflage for some reason. Doesnt do it all the time tho, so he always scares me when he does it. Normally, he is a dark brown-gray, almost black, with about 4 tan spots on each half of his back. Today i freaked out because i came home from being out all day and see him layin in my frog dish barely moving, completely a this color, which is almost the color of the inside of the frog dish. I thought he was dead, or dying...

But no, as i stared at him and went towards him with my hand he spazzed and darted away to the back wall. A dying fish doesnt move that fast. Then within about 2 minutes he was back to his normal coloring. Grr. I dont care what color he wants to turn, but i tell him he is not allowed to turn that color again. It looked like he was a sad, pale, dead fish. Sigh.

Rant done.

Pleco380
02-26-2012, 02:40 AM
LOL. Plecos do that every now and then. I had one pleco that let my hand get an inch away from him without flinching then he suddenly darted across the tank. What kind of pleco is he?

ekfishlover2011
02-26-2012, 04:50 AM
Rubber-nose. A.k.a. bulldog i think. They are a smaller pleco, only get up to 5inches. Steve is only not even 3 right now, so hes hangin out in my algae filled 10gal for now. He loves it in there. :) Its split, but everything seems to know how to get over the divider. Idk how, thats a whole 'nother rant... So he spends most of his time in only half, but he feels free to switch himself every week or two to the other side. :)

Pleco380
02-26-2012, 05:04 AM
So he spends most of his time in only half, but he feels free to switch himself every week or two to the other side. :)
LOL. That pleco has quite a personality. It's not surprising he loves that algae. He probably switches sides when he sees that the grass is greener on the other side, or in this case algae.

ScottishFish
02-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Aw good rant! My pleco likes to play tricks on me! I think we underestimate their intelligence!

ekfishlover2011
02-27-2012, 01:24 AM
Pleco - Yea pretty much, thats what i figure, lol. In fact, he switched sides again today, probably to munch on the driftwood this time. Mmm... wood.

Scottish Fish - We humans think we are so smart until we deal with other species in general it seems lol.