PDA

View Full Version : 36g Reef with a small hippo?

kmw0004
02-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Ok, I have never had a tang, because I don't think I have a large enough aquarium. I have a very well established reef with mostly softies and one small sps, about 70lbs live rock, hang on back protein skimmer, a pair of clowns, several hermits, several snails, 'dark' porcelain crab, emerald crab, a diamond goby, and a few other invertebrates that escape my mind at the moment.

I was talking to my awesome local saltwater specialty fish store, and they said I could keep a very small hippo in my tank, and just bring him back when he starts getting too big for the tank. Before I go off the deep end, and just tell them to order me one, does anyone have any experience with very young hippos? My first instinct is kinda saying no... I've got about $100 to spend on this tank, and I'm not sure of what I want next, but I need to figure out if this is an option or not.

smaug
02-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Have you ever had the experiance of catching a fast uncooperative fish in a tank with lots of rockwork and fragile coral:ssuprised: It isnt worth it. Tangs belong in big tanks even when small,they are very active and stocking should always be done taking into consideration the full grown size of a fish. If you want a beautifully blue active fish that is compatible with your size tank,I recomend a cherub angel.

kmw0004
02-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Very true... Very true. I think I'll just buy a really nice piece of coral. I should have just gone with my gut in the first place, and not even considered it. I like the coral better anyway

smaug
02-26-2012, 01:33 AM
Good choice!