PDA

View Full Version : My Goldfish acting funny

Incredulous_Ed
05-20-2006, 01:49 AM
My goldfish are acting weird. There are 2 of them, one is an adult and the other is juvenile. They were recently transfered from a small bowl to a 5 gallon tank with a power filter. The goldfish look like they're panicking and having trouble getting around, and they are eating the floating debries in the water. Also, the juvenile fish has a sort of fungus on it's nose. I put some medication in the water.
Any idea why all this is happening?

William
05-20-2006, 03:08 AM
That they are eating floating debris is normal. The other problems might be caused by high ammonia or nitrate levels. I recommend that you check these by bying a test kit or taking some water to your fish store so that they can check it for you.

How and when did you move them?

Incredulous_Ed
05-20-2006, 04:44 PM
I moved them yesterday. I poured some water out of the bowl into a bag and then with a plastic container took the fish out and put them in the bag. Then I placed the bag in the aquarium and waited thirty minutes. After I let them out I noticed the fungus on the juvenile's nose. About the fish looking like they're panicking, I think it might be normal. I don't know if goldfish are used to a power filter, because sometimes they try to get to the top of the water but the filter "pushes" them down.

Full3R
05-20-2006, 04:53 PM
that could be why they seem to be panicking that there trying to compete with the filter and they just use all their energy to burste through the water to swim against the "pushing" of the filter as for the fungus my Widow tetras had something similar and it turned out to be that they were fighting and their lips got nipped in the fight somthing probably happened the same with your fish

Incredulous_Ed
05-20-2006, 06:44 PM
So...... If the filter is bothering them, should I take it out? Right now, they seem sorta at peace.

William
05-20-2006, 06:58 PM
NAh. They likely get used to the filter soon provided it is not to strong current in it now.

Full3R
05-20-2006, 07:27 PM
they just gotta adapt, plus with the extra strength theyll build up from competeing with the filter will make them stronger swimmers