PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock Question

Milnita
08-23-2007, 06:49 PM
I hope I'm putting this in the correct area...

How long can live rock be okay outside of a tank? An hour, two, more?

THANKS

Rue
08-23-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by 'outside' the tank.

Bacteria, algae and some critters don't live outside of water for more than 10-20 minutes. If you need to move the rock for 30 min. to 1-2 hours to clean the tank (or whatever)...you could likely get away with just putting it in a bucket of saltwater ... if you need a day or so add an airstone and a heater to the bucket...but keep in mind the skimmate will buildup...

Or if you're transporting it out of water...you still need to wrap it in wet paper and plastic...but die-off will happen almost immediately and you'll have to 're-cure' the rock at the other end.

Milnita
08-23-2007, 08:12 PM
We're setting up a new tank, and our LFS told us that we could get "uncured" since it was a new tank, however, we live in the country and our LFS is at least an hour away from home. They told us when we were there last weekend that they would wrap it in wet newspaper for the transport home.

Rue
08-23-2007, 08:29 PM
You'll be fine...all live rock is transported in wet newspaper and plastic...another hour or so won't matter to the rock...

...and yes, the die off from the new live rock is what helps cycle your new tank...it provides the ammonia...

Any new rock you add AFTER you tank is cycled needs to be cured separately.

Milnita
08-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks so much!!! BRAIN OVERLOAD! You guys are great!!!:19:

Milnita
08-27-2007, 01:48 PM
We got our LR in on Friday night. We only got about half of what we need, but we're started. We've only seen two critters so far...a very small snail and one red wormlike centipede looking thing.....