PDA

View Full Version : New to keeping Ls - help with feeding L333

dan84
02-20-2012, 05:18 AM
Hi,

I have just bought my first lot of L number catfish - I got 5 young L333s. I have tried looking up information about feeding them but I have been reading some conflicting information and would like to clear up a few things.

From what I understand, young L333s like a diet of algae but as they get older their dietry needs change and they require meaty foods high in protein - such as mussels, shrimp meat and good quality sinking carnivore pellets. However, I have also read that there is a risk of choking in young L333s if they are fed meaty foods too early.

I have four fish at ~1 inch and one at just over 2 inches. I have bought some Hikari carnivore sinking pellets to be sure that I am not going to harm them but would like to know when I should start feeding them fresh meat as I assume it is better for them.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

MLBfan
02-20-2012, 02:22 PM
This is directly from http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=l333pleco

There has been some confusion in the past with keepers of this fish, they have believed them to have the same dietary needs as some of the omnivorous species of Loricariidae but the L333 needs a high protein diet and they only accept a vegetable diet when they are young, as they mature their dietary needs change. They need meaty foods such as blood worms, chopped mussels, chopped cockles or prawns; they do not eat algae though they will accept commercial dried foods. Adding algae wafers to the tank will not do them any good and they will be ignored.

Says just about the same thing at seriously fish, so I would say feed algae and veggies when small, but as it gets up to 3-4" start feeding meats, just be careful about the size of meats