PDA

View Full Version : my fish keep dieing..

torisierra123
02-19-2012, 08:57 PM
my No3 is to high and i was wondering what i should buy to lower it. i need to know what to buy to lower NO2 as well. my hardness is soft so that is good. but my total alkalinity is to high and my Ph leve is to high as well. i have a fresh water tank and i've been trying to fix it but all my fish keep dieing... how do i fix all my levels?

Brhino
02-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Can you tell us more about your setup? How long has it been running? What size is the tank, what is it stocked with, what is your water change schedule?

Normally NO3 (nitrates) are controlled through water changes, and a cycled tank should not have NO2- (nitrites). Do you have an ammonia tester?

Strider199
02-19-2012, 09:07 PM
As Brhino just wrote, do a 30-40% water change using a dechlorinator with the new water. Your nitrates are lowered by doing water changes weekly or more often if you have a tank that has too many fish in it for your filter size.

As someone once wrote; when in doubt, do a water change.

darla_robe
02-23-2012, 06:43 AM
Very frequent water changes. Some fish are extremely sensitive to formulas you add to water. If you add live plants, that should help lower your nitrate levels a LOT.

Lady Hobbs
02-23-2012, 10:15 AM
You need to cycle your tank and then do weekly water changes after it's cycled. You have not cycled or you wouldn't have nitrites. You need to test for ammonia, as well.

Links about cycling in my signature.

ScottishFish
02-23-2012, 11:22 AM
I agree with the above, live plants always help.

gm72
02-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Please consider reading the free Ebook in the Menu to your left. It sounds like you don't have a cycled tank and that you aren't performing adequate tank maintenance.

DaveHaag
02-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Don't buy anymore fish til you get everything cycled... Not only will you loose them but it will be easier to setup and cycle without...just my two cents...