PDA

View Full Version : Tank Size for breeding convicts

shakyshooky
08-23-2007, 05:58 AM
I recently just added some new cichlids to my 55 gal tank in which I already had 2 blue convict cichlids that breed like crazy. However, my blue convicts have bullied the other fish to just small portions of the tank and I was under the impression that this was stressing out ALL of my fish. So, in the mean time, I have put my 2 blue convicts in a 2.5 gal tank for the next couple days until I can get my spare 10 gal tank ready. My question is, is this 2.5 gal tank too small for them. My male is farely big in size, however my female seems to be just right. I've added a tree branch decor in the tank and all they keep doing is swimming up and down along side each other. I'm wondering if this is their way of checking their boundaries or are they showing signs of distress? I'm afraid I'll wake up and find them dead. Any suggestions or advice?

Totally confused and worried,

shaky

Dave66
08-23-2007, 08:10 AM
They are in no way appropriate for a 2.5 gallon tank. Twenty is bare minimum for the Convicts.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
08-23-2007, 01:22 PM
ditto with dave, bad idea. there generally is NO cichlid that can comfortably live in a tank under 20g.

YaYgoldFish
08-23-2007, 02:05 PM
If you leave a pair of breeding convicts in with other fish, you can say goodbye to them because the convicts WILL KILL them.

tropfish
08-23-2007, 03:53 PM
shell dwellers can live in as little as 5g tanks. So some cichlids can.

According to AFM you can breed cinvicts in as little as 10g, although a 20 would be better. Just be ready to seperate them if they get too agressive. I think that you could keep 1 female convict in a 10g with no other fish b/c they only get 4in.

Incredulous_Ed
08-23-2007, 09:27 PM
A recomended breeding tank ssize is 20 long.

crackatinny
08-23-2007, 11:23 PM
I have a pir of convicts in a 15G, and its not a matter of getting them to breed, its getting them to stop that is the impossible:hmm3grin2orange: