PDA

View Full Version : Oranda's changing colors??

rebekah
05-19-2006, 09:26 PM
Hello,
Hope someone can help me, I had a customer come in that purchased an oranda several months ago. She bought a red capped oranda that has now lost all its red and is completely white. I have not heard of this before, and was just wondering if it was common & why?

I have only been in the shop for a couple of months, so she would of purchased it off the previous owner - so I can't guarantee that it is even an oranda (It wouldn't be the first!!)

Cheers
Bek

rollie
05-19-2006, 09:46 PM
they not supposed to change color. that what my books tell me. but anything possible.

Full3R
05-19-2006, 09:48 PM
i had a blue oranda that changed fully black

William
05-19-2006, 11:57 PM
Oranda goldfish can change colors as they grow older and it is not unussual for them to go through several patterns before they end up with their final adult one. That they become more white as they grow older is a relativly common change while the blue oranda that changed fully black that FULL3R is talking about is much more rare color change for an oranda goldfish as it is more common for them to change from black to white or red. The genes are what finally decides what patter the fish will have as adults.

It is however rare that a redheaded orande changes to become completely white as in this case.