PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy or should I try?

hungbobber
02-15-2012, 03:35 PM
I've been tossing around the idea of attempting to breed Jaguar Catfish. I don't have any yet and I still have lots of research to do.

Am I just following a long list of tried and failed attempts or is there just little interest in breeding this fish that no one is trying?

lol, am I crazy for wanting to try?

Brhino
02-15-2012, 03:42 PM
jaguar catfish, not jaguar cichlid, Aeon!

Aeonflame
02-15-2012, 03:43 PM
lol yeah I just saw that... OOPS.

Im not sure if they can be bred in the aquarium. I haven't heard of any successful attempts

hungbobber
02-15-2012, 04:54 PM
I know PlanetCatfish.com has no records of breeding this catfish. So I'm wondering is it just because people fail or is it that no one's interested?

Brhino
02-15-2012, 05:03 PM
if a reputable site like planetcatfish lists "no reports of breeding", that means that nobody anywhere has been able to get the fish to breed in captivity and reported their success. Generally this means that the specific conditions (tank setup, water parameters, special situations like a simulated rainy season, etc) required to get the fish to spawn are unknown and/or have never been successfully duplicated.

This is not to say that you will never get the fish to spawn. It just means that you'll need to figure out something that nobody else in the published world has yet.

nikelodeon79
02-15-2012, 05:06 PM
I've seen cats listed as "no record of breeding" on PCF and then have seen posts where people have successfully documented breeding that very fish. Their Cat-A-Log is a great resource but not always 100% up to date.

I would so a few searches on that forum and see if anyone actually has been successful. I'm sure someone has tried somewhere.

hungbobber
02-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Ok. That helps me figure out what I'm up against.
I'll just have to research their natural environment and see if I can duplicate it.

William
02-15-2012, 06:16 PM
The Jaguar catfish has been bred in aquariums. I hava a friend that has bred them. I do however not think that anyone properly documentet the breeding process. You would not be a fool to try to breed them but you have to be up for a challange because they are far from easy to breed. They will require very good conditions as well as triggering to spawn. My friend brought the temperature down and the pH to far below normal to trigger them to spawn. Regular rain triggering in other words.

Fishkeeper
02-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Why don't you try it? You could put a bucket out for rainwater, then put that in the tank. That might trigger them.

MLBfan
02-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Why don't you try it? You could put a bucket out for rainwater, then put that in the tank. That might trigger them.
Im not posotive on this, but I wouldn't do that, can't rainwater have chemicals in them and could be acidic, you can try and 'recreate' rainfall though in your tank.

hungbobber
02-16-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm still trying to see how feasible this project would be. If it could be done it would be nice to have it documented.

The Jaguar catfish has been bred in aquariums. I hava a friend that has bred them.

William, is there anyway you can get me in contact with this friend of yours? Any resources would be invaluable and the internet has, so far, not been very much help other then saying "No water this way ▲►▼◄"

...you can try and 'recreate' rainfall though in your tank.
That might not be a bad idea. I'm thinking some black irrigation tubing used in gardening shops. Maybe a small powerhead. Have to think about water level too.
Hmmm... you guys are giving me a hankering for a project...
:bouncyred: :guitar: :bouncyred:

I'm not gonna jump the gun on this just yet, but I am going to continue my research and see what else I can dig up on this. Feel free to post more links and resources to this thread. I'm gonna keep checking up on it. If I do try, and fail miserably, the I've given the next guy a head start and that in itself would be worth while.

bignellm
02-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Need rainfall to breed, why not rig up a rainfall showerhead somehow onto the tank? Wouldn't say your completely nuts, but then the greatest accomplishments of mankind were because someone though way outside the box. I wish you luck :22: on your research and on the breeding.

hungbobber
02-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Just found this.

http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/showthread.php?2015-The-WaterZoo-Exotics-JAGUAR-Catfish-for-sale

Apparently there's a clever chap in asia? who successfully bread them too. Little if any details tho.