PDA

View Full Version : Royal plecos

Ramsarecool
02-14-2012, 02:06 PM
I recently saw another pleco I like other then Zebras, Its called the Royal pleco ... What size tank would you need?

Stlouisfish
02-14-2012, 02:10 PM
I just read about these fish on this forum and they can grow up to 17 inches so you will need quite a large tank - like well over 100gal.

Crispy
02-14-2012, 02:22 PM
royals grow very slow. they grow fatter rather than longer for the most part. I have 2 of them (L190, L191) and it would take 20+ years to grow one to max size. they MUST have driftwood in the tank because they actually gnaw on the wood and are able to digest it. it's a necessary part of their diet.

one thing to note when choosing a royal is check their eyes and stomachs. sunken eyes, and/or sunken belly means they have not had an adequate diet and the bacteria in their stomachs which digests wood could die off which usually results in the pleco wasting away and dying. other than that, they are fairly hardy, can tolerate almost any tankmates, and are my fav plecos. an awesome addition to any tank. :fish:

I have one growing out in my 55g, and my larger one is in my 190g. I would recommend at least a 40g tank to get you started with them for a few years.
any more questions, feel free to ask...:22:

Aeonflame
02-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Great info there by Crispy

Demjor19
02-14-2012, 03:00 PM
royals grow very slow. they grow fatter rather than longer for the most part. I have 2 of them (L190, L191) and it would take 20+ years to grow one to max size. they MUST have driftwood in the tank because they actually gnaw on the wood and are able to digest it. it's a necessary part of their diet.

one thing to note when choosing a royal is check their eyes and stomachs. sunken eyes, and/or sunken belly means they have not had an adequate diet and the bacteria in their stomachs which digests wood could die off which usually results in the pleco wasting away and dying. other than that, they are fairly hardy, can tolerate almost any tankmates, and are my fav plecos. an awesome addition to any tank. :fish:

I have one growing out in my 55g, and my larger one is in my 190g. I would recommend at least a 40g tank to get you started with them for a few years.
any more questions, feel free to ask...:22:

Glad I'm not alone. I have had my Royal on my 75 gallon loach tank for 3-4 years and he has hardly grown at all! Tons of driftwood and regular pellet and wafer feedings. They are beautiful plecos though!