PDA

View Full Version : Whats The Pleco For Me?

icefreeze57
02-13-2012, 03:33 AM
Hey all!

I'm looking for a Pleco but need some advice (well a lot of advice lol).

The extent of my knowledge on Plecs are kinda limited, I know theres a numbering system and what not but a common name would help too if you guys have them (I guess some don't even have a common name???)

I need a Plec that can fit in a 40G tank.

The Tankmates are a school of tiger barbs (so nothing with a long fin I guess, or else they'll be nipped). A red tail shark, and a convict.

I know this pic is awful but heres the tank: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/rebel_leader57/2012-02-11202422-1.jpg

The thing on the left is not real wood but the RTS pretty much owns in. The driftwood on the right is real driftwood and isn't really owned by any of my fish... the convict occasionally swims under it and the RTS sometimes on top but not really. So while there is open property in the tank I'll probably add some more so that the Plec can run that nice piece of driftwood!

So with the information included does anyone know a few Plecos I can look at? I know the Zebra but I think they need real food (like meat) compared to a mostly flake diet. But how big they get? I know they are small. I also know the [albino] bristle-nose which I also believe stays around 5 inches? (a little bigger than the zebra??) anything else out there???

thanks guys!

MLBfan
02-13-2012, 03:41 AM
IMO you should just get a BN or albino BN Pleco. Why do you want a Pleco algae control or just for looks?

Goes to 11!
02-13-2012, 03:45 AM
Why do you want a Pleco algae control or just for looks?+1

THIS is a key question.

Find more than you ever wanted to know about your available options here. (http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/) :22:

icefreeze57
02-13-2012, 04:01 AM
I dont think I have a big algae issue, but I'm staying to think I have a little bit... so something that can mostly bottom feed, flake feed

Cm25fl
02-13-2012, 06:24 AM
Just out of curiosity have you priced the zebra?

ScottishFish
02-13-2012, 09:29 AM
+1 to Cm25fl

They are pretty pricey and not always readily available

Lady Hobbs
02-13-2012, 12:24 PM
If you think you may have an algae problem, how about some flying foxes or otto's. I went my first 7 years in this hobby with nothing but a few corys in one tank. I had no bottom feeders at all other than some shrimp.

I have 3 bristle nose in my blood parrot tank and don't have a reason for having them other than I like them. They suck on the wood all day and I never see them cleaning any glass.

joekewl
02-13-2012, 12:29 PM
hi i would think after looking at your tank a clown plec. bristlenose plec .gold marble bristlenose plec. sizes between 2 to 5 ins which would be ok in your tank hope i have helped you

Cm25fl
02-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Yea I've only seen one place that has them and it was 450$!! I mean I love fish but damn that's a car payment! Lol

Trillianne
02-13-2012, 06:23 PM
A rubbernose pleco would fit your tank size as they also stay fairly small. They are becoming more readily available, even at larger box stores.

icefreeze57
02-15-2012, 08:50 PM
yeah damn thats expensive, forget that lol. Got some good suggestions I'll look into, I don't mind throwing in algae wafers to supplement potentially the lack of algae that is in my tank