PDA

View Full Version : Pop corn on the tiger barbs.

chevymaher
02-11-2012, 01:20 PM
I lost one of my tiger barbs last week.They all turned blood red in the silver part of their bodies overnight.I looked and looked here and on the net and never found any mention of the symptoms.I used protozoan/ick medicine.One passed the next day.The survivors developed what looked like pop corn on their dorsal fins and rectal fins.After a while they had a string of white and the pop corn balls were on the ends.They have fully recovered and have their normal color back.My question is this?What was it and what do I get to combat it if it ever returns.I would like to have the proper medicine on hand from now on.

Aeonflame
02-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Sounds sort of like lymphocystis... but that usually takes a few months to clear up.

Lady Hobbs
02-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Hard to just guess. The red may have been ammonia burns and the long, white stringy stuff internal worms. But without knowing more, all one can do is guess.

chevymaher
02-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Sounds sort of like lymphocystis... but that usually takes a few months to clear up.
I think you hit the nail on the head.I researched it and found pictures.That is exactly what they had.Maybe they had it a while in a small state and I did not notice.The whole drama lasted about a week and a half from when they turned red till the white balls grew and fell off.I mean overnight the silver on the fish went to blood red.That is when I became alarmed.It over now.From what I was reading there is no cure or treatment nature must simply take its course.A viral infection.While they ill baterial infection is what kills them if they die.