PDA

View Full Version : Outlet hose on filter

zackish
08-21-2007, 11:42 PM
I have a Rena filstar xP2 on my 29g. On the outlet hose that returns the water from the canister back to the tank there is stuff like growing inside it. There is black stuff in the intake hose and outtake hose. I can understand the intake hose but I don't think solid materials that large should be coming out the outtake hose.
Any ideas what it is or is it just stuff building up in there. It is really just clumps of black building up. It is not clogging the hose it is just small bits attached to the sides of it.

Algenco
08-21-2007, 11:52 PM
it is algae/bacteria., mine is white slime. When it starts coming loose I clean the hoses, I use a piece of nylon twine with small fishing sinkers on one end, on the other I tie a piece of filter material, drop the line through the hose and pull the cleaning patch through

Needs to be done every 2-3 months

hungryhound
08-22-2007, 12:47 AM
yeah it is algae. For the life of me I cannot figure out why they make the tybes white or clear. They should be black to block out the light and prevent the algae from growing.

gm72
08-22-2007, 12:56 AM
Are you sure it is algae and not material sticking to the inside of the tubing? To have algae growing only in the tubes would be strange. I would think you'd also see it in the tank.

Algenco
08-22-2007, 02:20 AM
Are you sure it is algae and not material sticking to the inside of the tubing? To have algae growing only in the tubes would be strange. I would think you'd also see it in the tank.

Actually mine is just a heavy layer of bacterial slime, the same as you see in a HOB

A340
08-22-2007, 06:03 AM
It's usually a combination of bacteria, dirt and algae that grows in there after time. Now matter how good of a filter system you have, some of the dirt/bacteria you filter out of the water still finds it way back in. Not much you can really do about it, just clean it out everyonce in a while.

zackish
08-22-2007, 08:31 PM

I don't have algae in my tank. It's definitely junk just building up.