PDA

View Full Version : help for oscar

yish
08-21-2007, 10:18 PM
hi everyone....i'm very worried about my oscars...as i was reading various sites on my problem, i am assuming that i have what they call, "hole in the head disease,"...one of my oscar seems lifeless....he doesnt eat...i think he might be blind. because during feeding he doesn't react when food is dropped into the tank...he has holes on his head...hasn't been eating..and today..he isnt moving much....i thought it might be parasites and dropped in a few parasite tablets but that isnt working...please help...thank you very much...i've had these oscars for nearly five years....thank you very much....

Drumachine09
08-21-2007, 10:31 PM
What size tank?
Filtration?
Water change amount and schedule?
Tankmates?

crackatinny
08-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Here is a link to a very good article on HITH

http://www.flippersandfins.net/HITHarticle2.htm

Lady Hobbs
08-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Good write up Crackatinny!

yish......there are meds out there for HITH and you will need a strong antibiotic to cure this. You must keep a very clean tank with oscars as they are dirty fish. Do LARGE water changes weekly and vac that gravel. Like at least 50% and even 75% water changes!

Get rid of your charcoal if using it, as well.

Rue
08-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Oscars need pristine water...which is hard to provide in an aquarium environment...you need lots of space, lots of filtration and lots of water changes...

Juannie
08-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Definitely remove your carbon, I did that with my oscar whom has a very small HITH and has so for the past year, do regular water changes and feed NLS or Hikari Cichlid Gold - only the best quality food! My oscar is really active now and rarely eats frozen food, he loves his hikari so much he sometimes jumps up when i have my fingers above him. It's definitely worth buying the best for your fish, it makes a huge difference.

I've tried medications, I've also been told to try putting betadine in the hole by my LFS (which I haven't yet), I definitely think the best quality food and water changes is the best solution.