PDA

View Full Version : Who Ate my Amano Shrimp?

wolfego
08-21-2007, 07:47 PM
I have 3 Cherry Barbs and 4 Rasbora Hets (Harelequins) in a 10 gallon planted tank. I thought that it would be a shrimp safe tank but I was wrong. I added 3 Amano shrimp (about 1 to 1.25 inches long), on day one all were well, on day two - 2 out of 3 were still there but could not find the 3rd one, on day three they are all gone. I have searched every part of the tank several times.

The tank is mature, chemistry good, sponge over pump inlet, etc but they are gone and there is not a trace, no shells, nothing.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Bernie

kimmers318
08-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Just about any fish will eat shrimp, or any other fish if they can fit it in there mouth for that matter. Heavily planted tanks offer shrimp more cover, but it does not ensure 100% safety.

RobbieG
08-21-2007, 08:43 PM
They also could have escaped - they are excellent climbers

Also if you have a HOB filter check in there

Chrona
08-22-2007, 12:36 AM
I doubt they were eaten tbh. Cherry barb size fish can't really fit them in their mouths that well unless they were very youung. Most likely hiding or jumped from the tank. I can't never find my cherry shrimp in my 10g planted as well, until I feed them.

gm72
08-22-2007, 01:37 AM
Agreed with the above. They are either still there, escaped and died, or you just aren't seeing them. Your fish didn't eat them.

zackish
08-27-2007, 01:48 PM
I doubt they were eaten tbh. Cherry barb size fish can't really fit them in their mouths that well unless they were very youung. Most likely hiding or jumped from the tank. I can't never find my cherry shrimp in my 10g planted as well, until I feed them.

Same here, I added 2 to my 29 but only one remaining I wanna get some more.
What exactly do you feed your shrimp?

squirt_12
08-31-2007, 11:56 PM
Yeah i have 10 amano shrimp and well that are hard to find. lol I can't see them until i take my rocks out because they are on them and they blend right in. Well i feed mine shrimp pellets and they also eat algae in te tank and they will eat any of the food that you feed the others that makes it to the bottom. Pretty well they will eat anything that you feed them.