PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help!/CLOSED

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Ok i've had a cold water fish in a small tank for about 5 days with nothing in it, apart from 1 plant, I feel sorry for the fish because it looks like it can't breave properly so I decided to buy a fluval edge 46 litre tank. the tank it's in now is a tiny bit cloudy hardly noticable in fact, because I've never had fish before I'd appreciate your help by telling me how to transfer my fish from the slightly cloudy tank to the fluval edge tank. thank you.

Cliff
02-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Have you cycled your tank yet ?

There is a link below in my sig that explains how to cycle a tank with fish. You might want to read through that first

What type of cold water fish do you have ?

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 12:26 PM
I think it's a type of gold fish i'm not sure does it matter.

Stlouisfish
02-09-2012, 12:35 PM
I think it's a type of gold fish i'm not sure does it matter.
It does matter - if it's a type of goldfish than your new tank is way too small for its eventual size - goldfish grow to a minimum of 6 inches depending what kind you have. The cloudiness is due to a bacterial bloom. The fish appears to have trouble breathing because there is no water circulation to provide oxygen and no filter to remove the ammonia from it's waste. Goldfish do not belong in small bowls/tanks because they are big waste producers so toxins build up fast.

For the time being, you will want to change the water in it's current home daily to remove ammonia. If you have the opportunity to get a larger tank (like 20gal or bigger) with appropriate filtration (rated for double the size of the tank) then you could transfer the goldfish to it, otherwise, I'd try to find another home for it and get smaller fish for your fluval after you cycle it like Cliff recommended.

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Please tell me a simple version how to do it. My brother said something like putting the fish with some of the water it's living in now into a certain bag and then, putting the bag in the new tank for a couple of minutes, then release it in the new water. I've done a bit of research so I know a bit about cleaning the tank and gravel plus I know about filtering it for 2 to 3 days. Do I need a heater though.

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 01:03 PM
It does matter - if it's a type of goldfish than your new tank is way too small for its eventual size - goldfish grow to a minimum of 6 inches depending what kind you have. The cloudiness is due to a bacterial bloom. The fish appears to have trouble breathing because there is no water circulation to provide oxygen and no filter to remove the ammonia from it's waste. Goldfish do not belong in small bowls/tanks because they are big waste producers so toxins build up fast.

For the time being, you will want to change the water in it's current home daily to remove ammonia. If you have the opportunity to get a larger tank (like 20gal or bigger) with appropriate filtration (rated for double the size of the tank) then you could transfer the goldfish to it, otherwise, I'd try to find another home for it and get smaller fish for your fluval after you cycle it like Cliff recommended.

Will a 46 litre tank be too small.

ScottishFish
02-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Do a water change on your tank then take your time, read up on cycling, determine your fish species then choose an appropriate course of action. Do not jump into anything.

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Will the fish be happier in the 46 litre tank and will it survive in a 46 litre tank.

ScottishFish
02-09-2012, 01:18 PM
If the tank is cycled and all your levels are ok then yes, but not if you have just filled it up from the tap an hour ago.

Goes to 11!
02-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Will the fish be happier in the 46 litre tank and will it survive in a 46 litre tank.
No, It is too small as has been stated clearly. & No.

Please return the fish to the store it is not an appropriate stock choice for your tank.
If you are still intent on keeping fish you will need to read the links suggested above as a start and we can help to provide you with appropriate choices for it once it is cycled.

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 01:31 PM
There's no need to offend me I've never had fish before. One problem is i'm a scizophrenic and I don't go out the house much so I don't like visiting my nearest pet shop. I love my fish and I have feelings for it. Should I take my fish to the nearest pet shop if so will they keep it and look after it.

Stlouisfish
02-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Please tell me a simple version how to do it. My brother said something like putting the fish with some of the water it's living in now into a certain bag and then, putting the bag in the new tank for a couple of minutes, then release it in the new water. I've done a bit of research so I know a bit about cleaning the tank and gravel plus I know about filtering it for 2 to 3 days. Do I need a heater though.
As you have been advised, I would not transfer your fish to the fluval - and what has your research told you about "filtering it for 2-3 days"? I'm hoping your research taught you about cycling a tank first?

Simply running a tank with a filter for a few days will not prepare it to house a fish and keep it alive - you first need a source of ammonia to grow bacteria in the filter - that's what cycling is and it's safer for the fish's sake to go through that process without a fish in the tank.

ScottishFish
02-09-2012, 01:35 PM
My bad 850R, I misread the 46 litre and thought it said gallons. Tank is too small.

Goes to 11!
02-09-2012, 01:37 PM
There's no need to be offended, I have never answered any of your questions before.

It is in the best interests of your fish to not live in that tank. This is why taking it back to the store is exactly what I suggested.

No worries Scottie, I knew you would figure that one out :-P

ScottishFish
02-09-2012, 01:41 PM
My brains stuck in first gear today!! Got a lab at uni today, 3 hours of genetics ........ HELP!!!

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 02:13 PM
problem is I got the fish off one of my brothers because his tank is too small, at the moment it's in something like a 12 litre aquarium which is way too small, so a 46 litre has got to be better right.

Goes to 11!
02-09-2012, 02:24 PM
problem is I got the fish off one of my brothers because his tank is too small, at the moment it's in something like a 12 litre aquarium which is way too small, so a 46 litre has got to be better right.

Where you got it is not relevant, The tank is simply not large enough.

Let me state it very clearly for you since you are repeating the same question.

46 liters is too small of a tank for any type of goldfish.

I would refer you to a question you have already asked and that was answered:

Should I take my fish to the nearest pet shop if so will they keep it and look after it.
Yes as you have already been told, This is what you should do.

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Someone please tell me what i've got to do step by step when cycaling my fish.

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 02:26 PM
I don't know what to do my heads in a bad way.

Goes to 11!
02-09-2012, 02:33 PM
I can't help with that but you do know what to do. You have been told exactly what to do.
Return your fish and read & apply the links suggested, Get appropriate fish for your tank and you will be on your way.

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Why then do I see pictures of gold fish in small bowl tanks from retailers.

Goes to 11!
02-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Because that is advertising. You also see storks selling pickles & geckos selling insurance on tv.

ScottishFish
02-09-2012, 02:54 PM
You see goldfish in oversized wine glasses because retailers want to sell as much as they can. So for someone who wants a lovely vibrant fish like a goldfish but don't have too much room in their home then the idea of a small bowl will appeal to them. Unfortunately this leads to stressed, unhealthy and sick fish, usually they die. These circumstances are often what put people off keeping fish. If everyone who wants to keep fish spent 5 mins googling on a 'how to' website then the world would be a happier place.

Goes to 11!
02-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Excellent post Scottish. [And the fish would be better off also :-)]

I actually thought you refer to the pics on fish food packets and the like but if you refer to the way they are kept at the store the answer is simple.

That is not a permanent home for them, It is very very temporary, Only until sold in fact.

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 03:27 PM
http://www.firsttankguide.net/calculator.php

This converter says I can keep a big fish in my tank for a short while. So what i'm planning to do is fill my new tank up with water to day, then put some de chlorinator in and let it filter for 2 to 3 days then i'll put my fish in the new tank on sunday then keep it in the new tank for about 3 days then i'll take it pets at home and give it them to look after and i'm praying it all goes well. if you want too check the coverter your self here's my tank size

45 cm height
43 cm width
26 cm depth

Goes to 11!
02-09-2012, 03:42 PM
It will be fine for a few days until you can take it back, I would do a water change halfway through the time you left just to be safe.

Taking him back is the right thing to do.

ScottishFish
02-09-2012, 03:54 PM
I think there have been enough replies here to give the correct answer, so sorry andre but by continually asking the same question until you hear what you want won't happen here. Sorry

ScottishFish
02-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Sorry andre I never realised u said you were taking it back. It will be better for the fish and you can set up your tank better the next time.

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 09:43 PM
How should I change my slightly HARDLY noticable cloudy fish tanks water because I thought the fresh tap water will shock the fish or whats your advice please reply because I feel very depressed for the fish.

Fishin Phil
02-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Do you have dechlorinator for your tap water?

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Do you have dechlorinator for your tap water?

I have dechlorinator and Biological aquarium supplement.

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 10:30 PM
How long will my 5 inch gold fish last for in a 46 litre aquarium.

Goes to 11!
02-09-2012, 10:40 PM
How long will my 5 inch gold fish last for in a 46 litre aquarium.
Long enough for you to carry out the plan you stated in post 25#.

So what i'm planning to do is fill my new tank up with water today, then put some de chlorinator in and let it filter for 2 to 3 days then i'll put my fish in the new tank on sunday then keep it in the new tank for about 3 days then i'll take it pets at home and give it them to look after

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 10:50 PM
850R what i'm thinking now is putting my fish in the 46 litre tank for about a week or 2 then buying something like an 80 gallon tank for it. would that be good.

Goes to 11!
02-09-2012, 10:53 PM
80g is great! - you still need to maintain your water well in the interim. Did you read the cycling links suggested above yet?

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 11:11 PM
I've read the cycaling links earlier and just now, and only very small amounts filterd through my brain.

Goes to 11!
02-09-2012, 11:24 PM
That is not unusual my man, Keep at them and they will get through I assure you.

Understanding the process that's happening in your filter is pretty important and SEEMS like a huge chunk of confusion at the moment but like a cloudy tank.. It will clear up. :hmm3grin2orange:

It's not really all that complicated but there is a bit of new information to absorb to understand how the system works [And an aquarium is a system].

Keep at it and do ask questions if you have confusion or feel like you aren't quite getting it.

Super Andre
02-09-2012, 11:26 PM
I'll tell you what condition my fish and tank is in. the fish is about 5 inches the tank is about 12 litres. the tank has no filter no gravel no air pump just 1 little plant, the tank has a few areas of fish muk the tank is about 2% out of 100% cloudy which doesn't seem to bad at the moment. I've had the fish in this little tank for about five days now and i'm worried. I've been feeding him twice a day with fish flakes but he doesn't seem to eat it but after i've checked about an hour later the food is gone, he also trys eating his own muk. Plus he keeps opening his mouth like he's trying to breath most of the time. I keep praying for him to get through his problems until I decide what to do with him next. So what do I do now.

ScottishFish
02-09-2012, 11:27 PM
This is just a suggestion, if you are getting a 80g then you have looooooads of options on what to do, so if you still returned your goldfish then you could have an awesome community tank or cichlids etc . . .

Super Andre
02-10-2012, 08:29 AM
I'll tell you what condition my fish and tank is in. the fish is about 5 inches the tank is about 12 litres. the tank has no filter no gravel no air pump just 1 little plant, the tank has a few areas of fish muk the tank is about 2% out of 100% cloudy which doesn't seem to bad at the moment. I've had the fish in this little tank for about five days now and i'm worried. I've been feeding him twice a day with fish flakes but he doesn't seem to eat it but after i've checked about an hour later the food is gone, he also trys eating his own muk. Plus he keeps opening his mouth like he's trying to breath most of the time. I keep praying for him to get through his problems until I decide what to do with him next. So what do I do now.

Please tell me step by step what to do with my fish with the currant state it's in, I have dechlorinator and biological aquarrium supplement.

hungbobber
02-10-2012, 03:10 PM
If he's gasping and there is no air being churned into the water by an air stone or surface agitation, then there is likely very little oxygen in the water. Oxygen is required not only for fish but for the bacteria that support the Nitrogen cycle. Find a way to get oxygen into the water, he'll likely improve. Just like us when we get a cold and don't eat - we stay sick... when he get's oxygen his body will have more energy and may perk up a bit.

As a side not, oxygen is needed in any burning process weather its burning a brush pile down, burning fuel in a car or burning calories in our body. Rust for instance is iron oxide. Oxygen is therefore a NONNEGOTIABLE must for an aquarium to work.

lol, just my .02

Goes to 11!
02-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Please tell me step by step what to do with my fish with the currant state it's in, I have dechlorinator and biological aquarrium supplement.
Andre,

The most beneficial things you can do right now are this:
1, Change the water in the tank.
2. Read the stickys you have been previously linked to again and again until they soak in.

I will put it in the simplest terms possible:

What you do is up to you but IF you continue to do nothing and instead simply keep asking what to do, It will not be an issue you need concern yourself with much longer.

Super Andre
02-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Right, in my fluval edge instruction book it says I should change 20% of the water every week, plus it says I should add 1/2 a capful of dechlorinator every week, I'm not talking about my new fluval tank i'm on about the little 12 litre tank it's in now. So should I change 20% of the water he's in now and add about a 1/4 capful of dechlorinator in the tank he's in now. my fluval is all set up now and he's going in it sunday which should be a small relief for him because the fluval has a filter and an air pump.

Super Andre
02-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Andre,

The most beneficial things you can do right now are this:
1, Change the water in the tank.
2. Read the stickys you have been previously linked to again and again until they soak in.

I will put it in the simplest terms possible:

What you do is up to you but IF you continue to do nothing and instead simply keep asking what to do, It will not be an issue you need concern yourself with much longer.

850R should I change all the water or what I said in the post above.