PDA

View Full Version : Convict 20 gallon.

Incredulous_Ed
08-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Can I put my male convict in my 20 gallon or will he rip up the plants?

YaYgoldFish
08-21-2007, 09:32 PM
I have one, shes about 1 inch long and tall in my 25g that is LOADED with plants and he likes to use them to hide form the breeding pair of kribs..so im sure you could let him in there.

cocoa_pleco
08-22-2007, 03:51 PM
some sites say that they may tear up plants when theyre larger

YaYgoldFish
08-22-2007, 06:51 PM
I really doubt they would.. Not mine anyways, hes such a fragile and calm little guy...I guess ill find out in a few monhs lol.

cocoa_pleco
08-22-2007, 07:03 PM
I really doubt they would.. Not mine anyways, hes such a fragile and calm little guy...I guess ill find out in a few monhs lol.

lol, i had one, and just like my auratus he was a cute baby then WHAM, grouchy mr.meany grumpy pants.

YaYgoldFish
08-22-2007, 08:08 PM
lol ehh, mabe ill be able to find him another tank when that day comes..

calla
08-27-2007, 03:57 AM
so I was thinking about putting just a pair of fish in my 20 gallon once I move its inhabitants into the 55. Would it be too small for a pair of *edit* convicts? Or kribs? I am completely new to cichlids, and plan to do A lOT more research, but thought I'd start here. Which are the ones that take really good care of their babies? Will I end up having to figure out something to do with all the fry?

...I'm gonna do some searching...

cocoa_pleco
08-27-2007, 04:02 AM
a 20g is okay for 2 convicts, and should be okay for kribs. theyre both good parents but the fry should be put into a spare tank a while after like at least a 20g

calla
08-27-2007, 04:04 AM
..ok so it couldn't be convicts. This book says they get 7 inches, and need a tank of 30 in or more?

but it doesn't say how big the kribs get?

cocoa_pleco
08-27-2007, 04:08 AM
i think kribs are 4", but better google it. 20g is a min for convict breeding, and they should be okay with it

YaYgoldFish
08-27-2007, 04:18 AM
kribs stay at about 4 inches...

You could get a pair of convicts in a 20g..i havent seen too many 7 inch convicts ... i heard 5 inches is more average.

calla
08-27-2007, 04:20 AM
I read the article here on the dwarf chilids, and yes, the kribs stay around 3-4 inches. So far, I like the idea of having a couple in the 20 gallon. What type of algea eater or catfish could I keep that the kribs wouldn't harrass during breeding? or is this not possible?

cocoa_pleco
08-27-2007, 04:22 AM
maybe a small pleco like a clown pleco could slip under their radar, but if you have LOTS of hiding spaces maybe some ottos

calla
08-27-2007, 04:23 AM
so maybe I am confusing the killing of all other fish behavior with the convict. I just read that when the convicts breed, no other fish can be kept with them.... it doesn't say this about the kribs, but that the male krib will guard the area...

YaYgoldFish
08-27-2007, 04:24 AM
I have 2 Siamese algea eaters and a convict in with a breeding pair of kribs in a 25g. If you take out the convict you could do the same thing..But i also have 11 plants, and alot of hiding places..My convict and kribs also made their own! The kribs built a hige cave under my driftwood, and my convict made a huge hole in the right corner of my tank abd put all the sand in front, making the corner his little fort!

cocoa_pleco
08-27-2007, 04:25 AM
the kribs should get a little cranky when breeding, but with convicts, nothing at all with them. at breeding they live up to their name.

YaYgoldFish
08-27-2007, 04:26 AM
so maybe I am confusing the killing of all other fish behavior with the convict. I just read that when the convicts breed, no other fish can be kept with them.... it doesn't say this about the kribs, but that the male krib will guard the area...

Yes, CONVICTS kill everything.

The kribs, basicly, are just territorial. If my convict goes too close to their side, my male will chase him away, but doesn't nip at him or anything like that, and as for the SAE's their always eating algea or somewhere in my plants lol.

calla
08-27-2007, 04:26 AM
well scratch that.... just read
"if there is not a female in the tank that is ready to breed, kribs are wonderful community fish. Let a female develop a glowing pink abdomen, and the kribs will systematically murder the other species to prepare the home for their young."

...hmmm

YaYgoldFish
08-27-2007, 04:28 AM
my female actually stays in her coconut hut sticking only her head out..(im hoping shes guarding fry)

calla
08-27-2007, 04:29 AM
It seems like other people here have fish in with their kribs though.... one other thread I was reading, I can't remember her name (still kinda new here ;p), has a lot of things in with hers, in a 27g I think. I just want one other thing, but don't have to have it. The clown pleco sounds good... if I can get him. I REALLY have a bad selection round here :)

calla
08-27-2007, 04:31 AM
how often do the kribs breed? and how many fry do they usually have?

YaYgoldFish
You mean AbbeysMom :)

cocoa_pleco
youre referring to abbeys_mom i think.

EDIT- CURSE! ninja post! lol

YaYgoldFish
08-27-2007, 04:32 AM
how often do the kribs breed? and how many fry do they usually have?

They supposedly breed often, not sure how many babies...it always depends on how many eggs survive so you can't be sure.

YaYgoldFish
08-27-2007, 04:33 AM
youre referring to abbeys_mom i think.

EDIT- CURSE! ninja post! lol

LOL:27:

But i don't know if shes a good example..she said her 4 kribs were in the same patch of fry and stuff.

calla
08-27-2007, 04:35 AM
I have 2 Siamese algea eaters and a convict in with a breeding pair of kribs in a 25g. If you take out the convict you could do the same thing..But i also have 11 plants, and alot of hiding places..My convict and kribs also made their own! The kribs built a hige cave under my driftwood, and my convict made a huge hole in the right corner of my tank abd put all the sand in front, making the corner his little fort!

That's SO cool! I definitely want these fish. And already planned on switching to sand.... I love plants and driftwood, rocks and such... so seems like I'll be able to provide them with the environment they like. I did the coconut thing in my 55 and love it, so will make a few caves for them in the 20. So with enough plants and hiding places, how would 2 kribs, and 2 or 3 otto cats or chinese algea eaters be?

cocoa_pleco
08-27-2007, 04:40 AM
should be okay, but remember, kribs are cichlids and their attitudes vary alot. some kribs will get along with guppies and some with nothing. mine got along with pretty much anything then he got that freak disease and died

YaYgoldFish
08-27-2007, 04:46 AM
Yeah i like rocks and driftwood too..I really want to show you some pics of what they've done, ime really amazed..ill try to get pictures soon.. As far hiding spots go..I have a coconut, cave built from big rocks, plants, especially my big reptile plastic plant that has that little circle that sticks to the glass...I made it go from the left corner to the bottom left corner..my fish love to go in the back of it and hide there..

Cocoa is very right about kribs and their attitude tho..EVERY site and everyone told me that my kribs would eat my 2 shrimps...my shrimps are the KINGS of my tank! They go where they want, when they want lol.

cocoa_pleco
08-27-2007, 04:48 AM
for my cichlid tanks i go for the messy look. my oscar and convicts tank is stuffed with randomly placed driftwood and rocks. i would make more coconut caves but for the oscars size i would need a coconut on steroids

YaYgoldFish
08-27-2007, 04:50 AM
LOL. I love the messy look....I placed my plants randomly and it looks AWESOME lol. My turtles like the messy look too..in my 10g the fluval 2 is always floating around lol.

calla
08-27-2007, 05:01 AM
I'd love to see any pictures for some ideas, and especially to see what those kribs have done, the p. Both of your tanks sound awesome. It's so exciting thinking about new fish! It's like an art form decorating your tank.

cocoa_pleco
08-27-2007, 05:04 AM
cichlids LOVE driftwood and rock stacks. my camera is down because of the flash bulb is dead but what i do is i buy bulk small driftwood from the LFS, and some rocks, about 7. i just make a rock stack then i mix the wood together into a jumble. fish love to weave around objects. also, PVC pipes are good for caves

calla
08-27-2007, 09:08 PM
so... do you use real or fake plants? B/C so far I have had no luck with real ones... they stay alive a couple of months, but never grow....

I don't mind replacing them often, but this seems like it might mess with the kribs if they start to pick a spot for territory then one day it's gone....

what kind of (easily accessible) sand should i use?

and, can I go get river rocks.. the big flat ones, right out of a stream and boil the heck out of them? then, use them to make the rock formations?

lots of questions, I know... but what do the kribs like to eat?

cocoa_pleco
08-27-2007, 09:13 PM
kribs eat flakes and pellets. if you do the vinegar test and boil the rocks they should be fine. with live plants you should have small substrate, a CO2 setup, 3w/g of lighting, and fertilizer. kribs may eat them though so id say go fake. in regards to the sand you can use playsand from hardware stores as long as you clean it well.

calla
08-27-2007, 09:14 PM
sorry... but also, the only driftwood I can buy locally is sold out of tanks it has been in for who knows how long.... The larger pieces are in a koi tank, and the med in a tank with baby plecos..

I feel a little wary about the idea of this. Is it not good to throw driftwood that has soaked up who knows what kind of bad bacteria from the numerous fish thrown in these tanks? Would boiling it make it safe, or is the bacteria it will contain actually good?

calla
08-27-2007, 09:17 PM
kribs eat flakes and pellets. if you do the vinegar test and boil the rocks they should be fine. with live plants you should have small substrate, a CO2 setup, 3w/g of lighting, and fertilizer. kribs may eat them though so id say go fake. in regards to the sand you can use playsand from hardware stores as long as you clean it well.

play sand as in the kind I put in my kids turtle sand box?? cause I have like a 50 lbs bag in my shed right now :). And you mean clean it good, before adding it to the tank...... how would I do that. cleaning sand seems hard. I think I'll stick to fake plants then if the fish won't mind.

What's the vinegar test? If it fizzez it's a no?

tropfish
08-27-2007, 10:07 PM
yes. But the viniger test isn't always reliable because its not a very strong acid. When i get rocks from outside i scrub them with a brush to remove dirt/algea then boil them. i then leave them in a bucket overnight. if there is no PH change then i put it in the tank. You should avoid rocks like limestone and fools gold (iron pyrite) because they affect the PH. Also avoid sandstone unless its silica sandstone which is safe (but will break up over time.)

99% of rocks from streams are safe, especially if their's fsh in the stream.

also you can use play sand, but i find that pool filter or silica sand works better. its not real sand, but looks exactly lik it. its also cleaner and has a nice off white color, plus its a more uniform grain so its easier to clean. its a bit more expensive tho and as long as you wash the play sand it should be good. You wash it by filling a bucket halfway with sand and then sticking a hose in it and running water throught it. let the water overflow, bringing any impurites out with it. when it runs clear you can add it.

hope this answers some of your questions! :thumb:

YaYgoldFish
08-28-2007, 01:33 AM
play sand as in the kind I put in my kids turtle sand box?? cause I have like a 50 lbs bag in my shed right now :). And you mean clean it good, before adding it to the tank...... how would I do that. cleaning sand seems hard. I think I'll stick to fake plants then if the fish won't mind.

What's the vinegar test? If it fizzez it's a no?

Thats the exact kind of sand i have in my 25g..My live plants seem to grow well in them, with only a 20w light. If you want you can try live plants, better looking and see how it goes and if you dont like it, in goes the fakes. I used to think fake plants were easier, but when i got to the lfs, the live plants were 3 bucks each and the fakes ones about 10 bucks each so i decided against it.

My kribs like to eat when im not looking or else they wont eat..I feed them tetracolor tropical crisps and nutrafin basix cichlids pellets.

ozylad82
08-28-2007, 01:56 AM
i just bought a albino male krib and the lady said they grow around 4" mine is only about 1.75" and i have him in a tank with dwarf gouramis but plan on getting him a mate and a tank of their own. he keeps to himself which is great considering she told me he might attack my gouramis. maybe when he gets bigger he might but 4 now hes a great tank mate 4 most fish bigger and more peaceful than he.

calla
08-28-2007, 03:25 AM
yes. But the viniger test isn't always reliable because its not a very strong acid. When i get rocks from outside i scrub them with a brush to remove dirt/algea then boil them. i then leave them in a bucket overnight. if there is no PH change then i put it in the tank. You should avoid rocks like limestone and fools gold (iron pyrite) because they affect the PH. Also avoid sandstone unless its silica sandstone which is safe (but will break up over time.)

99% of rocks from streams are safe, especially if their's fsh in the stream.

also you can use play sand, but i find that pool filter or silica sand works better. its not real sand, but looks exactly lik it. its also cleaner and has a nice off white color, plus its a more uniform grain so its easier to clean. its a bit more expensive tho and as long as you wash the play sand it should be good. You wash it by filling a bucket halfway with sand and then sticking a hose in it and running water throught it. let the water overflow, bringing any impurites out with it. when it runs clear you can add it.

hope this answers some of your questions! :thumb:

Thanks!.... so, since I live in a mountainy river filled state, there are a lot of places to go collect river rocks. People fish a lot aroud here too so, that would be a good sign. I'll do as you suggested though, scrub them, soak them, and test for pH differences.

I haven't heard of pool filter or silica sand, and have no idea where to get it... not sure if it's a lfs kind of purchase. I don't mind investing the extra cost... I want to use to sand the fish will prefer.

what do you guys think about using the driftwood from the aquariums in the lfs?

cocoa_pleco
08-28-2007, 03:26 AM
at pool stores you can find the pool sand, or even the odd hardware store or larger wal-mart.

YaYgoldFish
08-28-2007, 03:52 AM
what do you guys think about using the driftwood from the aquariums in the lfs?

Boil it once for 20 minutes if you want to be sure, then its hould be okay to put in your tank. The heat should kill off any bacteria

cocoa_pleco
08-28-2007, 03:55 AM
i dont boil it, i just warm water rinse it for a minute. i just do it that way since i like the tannin, but else wise boil it and rinse it until its clean

YaYgoldFish
08-28-2007, 03:58 AM
i dont boil it, i just warm water rinse it for a minute. i just do it that way since i like the tannin, but else wise boil it and rinse it until its clean

The reason why she wants to boil it is because they have it in their tanks( like koi tanks) so their might have been deseased fish and other things in the water.

I think you should do like cocoa said, i doubt it could hurt your fish.

cocoa_pleco
08-28-2007, 04:04 AM
it should be fine. i had a chunk that sat in a empty stinky tank for a few weeks and i ran my tap at full hotwater (enough to scald human skin as ive learnt, lol) and it was clean. i dont filter my toads water either so when i change their water i rinse the driftwood that way

calla
08-28-2007, 12:56 PM
thanks guys! I can't wait to redo the 20 gallon after all this talking. Once I see the way it looks I'm gonna want to do it to the 55 too I just know it :)

So, last question, for now :)

How do I sex the kribs? and will it be ok that I am not letting them pair naturally, will they still like each other and breed?

cocoa_pleco
08-28-2007, 03:18 PM
they should still breed. the females have a dark pink belly,

calla
08-28-2007, 08:45 PM
I went to my lfs today to look at some, and they didn't have any :( . At least I don't think so, they had a tanks of assorted cichlids, and I'm not to schooled in them yet.... but I don't think they had any. The guy working there didn't know either (nice huh?)

cocoa_pleco
08-28-2007, 09:39 PM
that sucks. im sure theyll get some eventually. thats why i love edmonton, you can find any fish imaginable, and some stores will order a fish in for free if they dont have it.

calla
08-28-2007, 10:57 PM
the guy (who didn't seem to know much really so may have not been to trustable) said that I should check back on thur. they get in stock then I guess... and do ordering. So I can special order a pair. He also said they will take my bala sharks back (:scry:) so my 55 will be ready for something new.... AND I got a 29 gallon today with no idea what i'll use it for. This is addictive. :)

cocoa_pleco
08-28-2007, 11:06 PM
id say plant the 29g. thats a excellent size for planting

calla
08-28-2007, 11:21 PM
I love the way a planted tank looks, but have a lot to learn about how to take care of it.... so far I've mixed live plants in with mostly fake ones, they've died or been eaten, and I've replaced them. Again and again haha.

Arkie
08-29-2007, 04:06 AM
sounds like my attempt at planted tanks lol. lucky plants are cheap i say!!! :ezpi_wink1:

cocoa_pleco
08-29-2007, 04:17 AM
I love the way a planted tank looks, but have a lot to learn about how to take care of it.... so far I've mixed live plants in with mostly fake ones, they've died or been eaten, and I've replaced them. Again and again haha.

thats what happened to me years ago but ive learnt the art of plant keeping, good lights, a CO2 system, and ferts.

calla
08-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Well I did the first steps toward making the 20 gallon a krib tank. It has 4 corys in it, so I will wait to chage the substrate to sand, but I'm in the process of redecorating now... the driftwood has been boiling for about a half hour, and I bought some small rounded flat rocks for landscaping. Plan to later go get the real river rocks... large, flat.. stackable. Also got a few beg. plants, java fern, wisteria, and a sword?something or rather haha. Can't wait to post some pics when I'm all done. I also moved the pleco to the 55 today, and bought him a piece of driftwood, also still boiling. My tanks are starting to look so much better!

cocoa_pleco
08-30-2007, 04:22 AM
. My tanks are starting to look so much better!

lol, congrats! thats my mission too. im going to wait and get the oscars 100g in around 5 months. in the meantime im not going to buy no more tanks, just concentrate on the not yet completed 20g planted and 10g salt nanocube.