PDA

View Full Version : Vegetable Feeding

YJCoach
02-08-2012, 05:00 PM
First off if this question was already covered then I apologize ahead of time. Ive gone thru countless threads and havent came across the answer I was looking for so Ill ask it now...

Question: When feeding your Plec vegetables (cucmbers, zucchini) how long do you leave the food in your tank? I brought home a new sailfin leopard and want to feed him veggies, but Im not sure if he will eat it or not. Is there a maximum amount of days you leave it in there before realizing he might not munch on it, or is it safe to drop it and forget it?

AND last question: Since he is a juvenile (around 4 - 5") is there certain size of veggie that you cut for him to feed on? Or do you just cut a chunk and place it in the tank?

Thank you in advance for you help....

Stlouisfish
02-08-2012, 05:06 PM
I do not own a pleco but I've read enough here that it's generally recommended to leave the veggie in for 24hrs and then remove any leftovers - cutting a chunk is a good idea as well as putting in slices - many people spear the food with a fork to weigh it down and drop it into the tank. I believe there are certain veggies that should be blanched 1st (boiled briefly & then cooled) but many people find their fish don't care.

Cliff
02-08-2012, 05:11 PM
I started by only leaving mine in from 12 to 24 hours and then remove the uneaten amount. Any longer and it might start to rot and effect your water quality

I donít have to worry about it anymore as my plecos are big enough now that they have been eating it all overnight.

YJCoach
02-08-2012, 05:11 PM
I see, thank you for the response.

Last question: Is it safe to tie a fishing line around the end of the fork and loop the other end outside of the tank, so itll be easier to pull the fork out of the tank without having to reach deep into the tank to retrieve it?

Catfish Joe
02-13-2012, 10:02 PM
I see, thank you for the response.

Last question: Is it safe to tie a fishing line around the end of the fork and loop the other end outside of the tank, so it will be easier to pull the fork out of the tank without having to reach deep into the tank to retrieve it?

Hi I feed my bristle-nose frozen English spinach, it come in small frozen blocks I can buy at the supermarkets. originally came from USA and now imported to Australia from Holland.
I feed the every second day with this, I place an amount I think they can eat in a few hours in a glass of water to defrost and tip the lot into the water.
Most is eaten in a couple of hours and the small snails seem to clean up the rest.
Fish love it, and I never bother or have to clean any left over, other day I feed them with the moss/algae pellets.

geeman85
04-01-2012, 03:39 PM
if you blanch some veggies properly they should sink without the need of a fork. if you do use a fork to weight the vegi's down just ensure there is no soap residue by running under hot water first. always remove uneaten vegi's no later than 24 hours also most enjoy watermelon. hope it helps