PDA

View Full Version : New Little Creature

Adimondinthesky
08-21-2007, 04:39 AM
Hello again guys!
I put in some live rock about 2 weeks ago and I have only found one little creature..he is in the shape of a half circle, whitish brown and flat. He somehow moves around and my question is...do I need to feed him? I don't even know what he is..so I have no idea what to feed him or if I need to! Please help, he's really cute and I don't want him to die! thumbs2: Thanks!

cocoa_pleco
08-24-2007, 06:39 PM
i think that its probably just a scavenging clam or something, he'll fend for himself

Dave66
08-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Hello again guys!
I put in some live rock about 2 weeks ago and I have only found one little creature..he is in the shape of a half circle, whitish brown and flat. He somehow moves around and my question is...do I need to feed him? I don't even know what he is..so I have no idea what to feed him or if I need to! Please help, he's really cute and I don't want him to die! thumbs2: Thanks!

That's a copepod, a kind of microcrustacean, that shows up in all tanks with live rock. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of species, but the one that shows up as you described is a detritus eater that you don't need to feed. Most small reef fish will eat copepods.
If you've a magnifier or a microscope, you'll see your 'pod looks like a bizarre horseshoe crab, though they are very distantly related.

Dave

Adimondinthesky
08-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the replies, it is great to know what he is...even though he hasn't moved now for the last 3-4 days.
I did find some new jellyfish type looking stars that will close if you come to the front of the tank too fast, that is so amazing! Never seen anything like them. My tank is still cycling so nothing foodwise is in the water yet.

Dave66
08-30-2007, 06:30 AM
Sounds like Aptasia, also called Glassrose, anenomes. Google them for details. They can stay as just a few, or a horrible plague, depending on the amount of food it gets.

Dave