PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for my community stock..

Fisher_Zeb
02-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Well this week I'm moving to my 100 gallon. After the move and more plants are added aswell as the fish are settled in (maybe a weak-month after?) i'm thinking of having when i do start looking for new fish (aswell as adding to the current schools) maybe a school of Harlequin rasbora, not sure if anyone else can suggest any other ideas? I would like a medium sized center piece fish.

Currently have:
Angel Fish
Golden wonder panchax
Micky mouse/sunset platies
Female Kribensis
Dwarf rainbow fish
Black phantom/neon tetra
Syndontis E.

P.S I also know some people wouldnt reccomend some of my stock together in the same tank like angel fish, killie fish with neons aswell as angel fish and kribensis but i havent seen any signs of distress betweem the fish.

:goldfish:

Fishin Phil
02-06-2012, 09:02 PM
How many dwarf rainbows do you have now?

Fisher_Zeb
02-06-2012, 09:04 PM
7 neon rainbow fish.

Fishin Phil
02-06-2012, 09:06 PM
That's a decent size school already, although you could bump it up to 10.

Still thinking on Centerpiece.

Fishin Phil
02-06-2012, 09:11 PM
How about an Acara?

Fisher_Zeb
02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
I thought so, im going to bump up the tetra school really and get a few more killie's aswell as platies. My 50p sized angel and extremely small veil angel are fine as they are, i should have enough room for maybe a center piece fish and another school of fish, i do like rasboras but im not sure!

Ive read up on kribensis but would like some people opinions of keeping them in groups etc, I dont know weather to get my female a male or keep her alone.

Fisher_Zeb
02-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Ive looked them up before but I actually wonder if i would get them in my city.

MLBfan
02-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Well as far as centerpiece fish, have you thought about a school of silver dollars, those may work well, but also Angels could make a nice centerpiece. As far as kribs are concerned, they are one of the few cichlids that can work in just a pair, but they could also work in a group, however, they can be territorial when breeding.

Also just a thought, a Pleco may be a good centerpiece. :shrug:, but in a big 100 gallon tank, a centerpiece fish is a matter of personal preference, do you like cichlids? Charchins? Do you have a type of fish you prefer?

Fisher_Zeb
02-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the input MLB!

I have thought about silver dollars, I saw someones thread where they just had silver dollars and they are nice but i would like a species tank of these so I think i would miss these out in my 100G..but its a option im considering! You are right angels are a center piece fish but one of mine is a veil with big fins but its body hasnt grown since it was a baby :( dont know why till this day, its buddy is normal size though..i would say in the middle of 2-3 inches in body size. Okay, so im just wondering should i leave the female krib alone? Or is it a shoot or miss adding more males/females and I read up they like to dominate a square foot when breeding so i wouldnt really want that. Im not really fond of plecos as i have two syno cats already! I do like cichlids, but havent really explored only with the two ive currently got..I dont prefer or not prefer any fish really i love them all!

I do like the blue Acara and was thinking of a Red Devil but i read somewhere they dont actually even exist in the wild and where "man made"

MLBfan
02-06-2012, 11:35 PM
If by red devil you mean these (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/reddevil.php), then they are too aggressive for your fish. However blue acaras may work for your aquarium, although the may eat your neons or possibly platys, have you looked at demon eartheaters, despite there name (and size) they are relatively peacefuland you could probably have two in your tank.

As far as kribs are concerned, they may take up some room while breeding, but it will probably be on the ground, and they are otherwise peaceful

Hope this helps!:ssmile:

Fisher_Zeb
02-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Oh no dont think its them, the fish i was talking about where the red parrot fish, if they are the same as red devils am not sure. I do have to consider the fish i get because of the neons..i may give them away as there is a good chance my angels might eat them isnt there? I thought if they have been together since small there could be a chance but i was being oblivious to the fact i think..I do like the eartheaters and there names! Going to research them..I believe if im going to introduce kribs to my krib they should be the same age and size? Also what genders/amount should i add to the female i have now? It has thank you!

I think i will have to leave the earth eater, as it sifts the substrate probably meaning my plants will be up rooted aswell my 30 gal was sand and i hated it! Going with a lovely pea gravel i have in the 100 gal.

ldoerr
02-07-2012, 12:45 AM
GET THE HARLEQUIN RASBORA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will not be disapointed!!!!

Fishisompin
02-07-2012, 05:41 AM
A thought about the Kribensis...they are wonderful chichlids that are perhaps the most adaptable for multi-species tanks.(IMO) They are aggressive only if their immediate needs are threatened. I suggest 1 m/2f for your tank, but be sure they have cover, plants or rocks (they appreciate both). They not only look beautiful, but are interesting. They are great parents, and a joy to watch as mouth-brooders. Get them a partner, with cover, you can't go wrong.

pjaldave
02-07-2012, 09:03 AM
:hmm3grin2orange: to post #12... (ya know why)

anyways! for a centerpiece fish in a 100G, angel(s) would and should work. How long do you have that angel in that tank? I'm not too sure if they grow fast or slow though. You could always add in 2 more angels, just provide them a lot of hiding places and plants to break up the aggression.

Oh and you have plants, silver dollars will munch on your plants so dont get them.

ScottishFish
02-07-2012, 10:21 AM
I have a firemouth in a community tank and he/she is really peaceful, my dwarf gourami is ten times more aggressive than he/she is haha or else what about a moonlight gourami?

Fisher_Zeb
02-07-2012, 12:16 PM
I will definite get a few buddies for my female kribensis then, the tank will be heavily planted anyway.

I will be getting a school of rasboras, and maybe another species if i have room at the end of it all. Ive also come across fire mouths in communities aswell as key holes they are on the peacefulness side of that type of fish. I also saw female convicts would be okay but havent researched that at all!

MLBfan
02-07-2012, 12:21 PM
For kribs, I have to agree with Fishisompin, except I don't think kribs are mouthbrooders, kribs can probably be kept 1m/ 2f or 1m/1f.

Also, +1 to the harlequins, they make a great schooling species.

As far as centerpiece fish, if you don't want to get more angels, maybe kissing gouramis?

Fisher_Zeb
02-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Ive thought about gouramis and its one of the options but a kissing gourami would eat all my plants i think..they are known to be aggressive BUT the ones i had werent, i did like my drawf gouramis but they got a disease what the drawfs get and died :(

MLBfan
02-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Have you thought about festivum (flag) cichlids?

Fisher_Zeb
02-07-2012, 06:00 PM
No, i haven't even heard them but i like alot. If i could get my hands on them i would maybe get two! I will have to have a look around..I would like to find a wholesalers :(

MLBfan
02-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Well this probably won't help, but this is the only festivum I could find right now (except for an ad on this site, but I think it's now sold) http://m.gumtree.com/v?adId=94833325, it is probably a fish that comes up every once in a while. Good luck in searching!

MLBfan
02-08-2012, 02:25 AM
Fisher_Zeb: Have you moved your fish yet?

Fisher_Zeb
02-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Sorry just saw this reply, ye they have been moved in. Been in their about 2-3 days now.

MLBfan
02-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Here's another fish (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/flagacara.php) that's sort of similar to the festivum, this one is much easier to find

Fisher_Zeb
02-11-2012, 03:58 PM
they are nice, a little small..have you got any biggish center piece fish yourself