PDA

View Full Version : 100G Filled just a couple of questions..

Fisher_Zeb
02-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Sorry if it seems I'm spamming the forums with my questions, i had a problem with the polystyrene not evening my tank out which is all sorted now but i was wondering if i have another problems on the horizon.

The polystyrene what my tank is sitting on doesn't reach the full back to front of my tank if that makes sense, there is a space between the front of the glass to the polystyrene around a cm or two if i'm describing it right, is this a problem?

Also ive filled the tank up to the braces abit past them is this also a problem?

Thank you for all!

Dacotah7
02-05-2012, 05:50 AM
Sorry if it seems I'm spamming the forums with my questions, i had a problem with the polystyrene not evening my tank out which is all sorted now but i was wondering if i have another problems on the horizon.

The polystyrene what my tank is sitting on doesn't reach the full back to front of my tank if that makes sense, there is a space between the front of the glass to the polystyrene around a cm or two if i'm describing it right, is this a problem?

Also ive filled the tank up to the braces abit past them is this also a problem?

Thank you for all!

Why did you set your tank on polystyrene?
How thick is it?

The outer edges of your tank, need to set level, on one flat plane, or else you may twist or distort your tank, risking breakage.

Filing it just above the braces; do you mean above the bottom edge of the top frame, hiding the water line from view?
If so that is not a problem. You can fill your tank to any level you want.

Fisher_Zeb
02-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Sorry the thread isnt clear much, i take it thats why people have looked and not replied, was real tired yesterday.

Why did i set my tank on polystyrene? So what you said the tank doesnt twist. You asked a question and answered it yourself :p the thickness is one inch which is abit to thick for my likeing but im not the only one who does that thickness, the polystyrene moved backwards as the tank was on and getting filled up. So the polystyrene is not reaching to the front of the tank by a cm or two. like below (top being the tank then bottom the poly).

|_____________|
|____________|

Fisher_Zeb
02-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Ive just looked at the tank, and the sheet is fine at the back and left hand side its just the front and one side its a cm within the tank.

Fisher_Zeb
02-05-2012, 01:32 PM
If i was to cut some polystyrene out and try and jam it in the gaps would this be sufficient.

Dacotah7
02-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Sorry the thread isnt clear much, i take it thats why people have looked and not replied, was real tired yesterday.

That is my guess.

Why did i set my tank on polystyrene? So what you said the tank doesnt twist. You asked a question and answered it yourself :p the thickness is one inch which is abit to thick for my likeing but im not the only one who does that thickness, the polystyrene moved backwards as the tank was on and getting filled up. So the polystyrene is not reaching to the front of the tank by a cm or two. like below (top being the tank then bottom the poly).

|_____________|
|____________|

If you using the form of polystyrene that I think you are, the foam "bead board" type, the bottom edges of your tank are likely to compress the area they are in contact with. For a correct, fail-safe set-up, you need to support the edges of your tank on one flat plane, a plane the remains that way over time. Nothing should be moving, sagging, compressing, distorting, twisting, the key point is stability as in no movement.

A 100g tank alone is heavy. If it was moving while filling, my guess is it moved because the polystyrene was not cut large enough. or the tank was not positioned correctly.

Using your symbolic characters, with labels:
TB = Tank Bottm
PS = Polystyrene

This is what you have:
|______TB_______|
|______PS______|

This is what you should have at a minimum:
|______TB_______|
|______PS_______|

This would be much better:
...|______TB_______|
|________PS_________|

NOTE: The periods are place holders to center your tank on the polystyrene.

If i was to cut some polystyrene out and try and jam it in the gaps would this be sufficient.

Frankly, no.
You know you have an issue, which could lead to a problem, a big problem, that being a cracked tank.
Doing a band-aid, rigged-up patch-job simply is not worth the risk.

The risk is a blow-out, a lost tank, loss of all fish & livestock, a big water mess, possible damage to your home, burnt out heaters and maybe burnt out filters if ran dry.

Jamming pieces under the edge has no structual integrity. They would not provide any support or stibility. None. The patch piecies are not an intregal part of the main board.

Personally, I would discard the polystyrene and replace it with plywood.

Ive just looked at the tank, and the sheet is fine at the back and left hand side its just the front and one side its a cm within the tank.

All the more reason to drain the tank and do it right.

This is not a "Just" 50% problem (one end and one side). That is like saying a car tire is 10% flat. It is only just flat on the bottom; the rest is fine.

If you are asking for help, I gave you my best advice, in your best long term interests. Sorry if it is not what you wanted to hear.

Fisher_Zeb
02-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Thank you for the advice! i drained it yesterday and replaced the poly sheets with sheets of foam which get put under laminated flooring, they are quite thin around a mm each one so i put quite a few together to get 3/4 inch which is quite "cushiony" im hoping this can be an alternative and work.

http://www.realoakfloors.co.uk/media/852_White_Foam_Underlay.jpg