PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo shrimp climbing out of water?

Fishkeeper
02-04-2012, 03:58 AM
I have a couple of pieces of driftwood in my tank, but they are floating because they need to soak up more water. Lately my bamboo shrimp has been crawling most of the way out of the water on them. He keeps about a third of his tail in so he can breathe. Why is he doing this? Water is fine and all my fish are fine. The wood has released tannins into the water, making it sort of murky, could this be bothering him? I'm not worried, just curious.

KatzeSlaugen
02-04-2012, 10:27 PM
what are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp, ph)?
sounds to me like he could be trying to escape some kind of toxin, although i had an apple snail years ago that loved climbing into the output of my power filter just for fun.

Fishkeeper
02-05-2012, 01:41 AM
I think I figured it out. The area he was going into was a very warm, humid area, and the water was cold. I turned on my heater, and he stopped doing it. He just wanted someplace warm!

KatzeSlaugen
02-05-2012, 02:17 AM
good thing you figured it out! the mysteries never seem to end with aquariums!

Critterstruck
02-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Mine just did this last night, only it crawled out and across my floor. o_O No idea what caused it. Possibly a change in water chemistry, since I added new plants, but I didn't test before I added them, so I can't say. I suppose I will change the water and see what happens. It lived, so I put it back and I'm hoping it starts acting normally....