PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow shark with convict pair?

kaosfere
08-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi, all.

MTS has struck me, and, as I've recently fallen in love with convicts, I'm currently doing fishless cycling on a new 29g that I plan on putting a breeding pair of them in.

Last night, I came home to find one of our sailfin mollies dead. This could be due to a number of reasons -- I'm at the tail end of an ich treatment, and the tank has been at an elevated temperature and had coppersafe in it for 2 weeks -- but I know for a fact that our 4" rainbow shark has become *extremely* aggressive recently. I'm afraid that he may have bullied the molly (at least partly) to death.

I'm thinking about putting him in with the pair of convicts. I know a spawning pair in particular can be intolerable, but the shark is one mean-spirited little bastard, too.

Do you think this would be a doable mix, or would the convicts rip him to shreds inspite of his temper?

TIA.

*Sarah*
08-20-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure about the rainbow with the convicts, but the shark was prob more aggressive because of the high temps.

Dave66
08-20-2007, 07:19 PM
When the Convicts breed (and they will, just add water), they'll kill that shark unless the tank is large enough for it to hide.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
08-20-2007, 09:09 PM
you would need a large tank for the mix, the convicts could get territorial

crackatinny
08-21-2007, 12:13 AM
Personally I would put nothing in with a breeding pair of convicts, as Dave pointed out, they become very aggressive at breeding time.

kaosfere
08-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Righto, guys. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep Mr Grumpy out of the cichlid tank. ;)