PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy?

something fishy
02-03-2012, 05:43 AM
I'm in the process of stocking my tank, but haven't decided on final stocking yet. The tank is a 78g custom (approx. 48w x 12d x 29h"), and is being cycled at the moment with six cories and two clown plecos. I will also be planting the tank next week or so.

For my final stocking, I've been thinking about angels on and off. On the one hand I absolutely love them, but on the other, I know that they could get quite aggressive.

Anyway, my question - I was in the LFS today looking around, and they had these stunning koi angels. They were quite big, about 3" tall, not counting their fins.

What do you guys think? Would that work in my tank? Will they be too aggressive (especially considering their size) to each other and to their tankmates? Should I get 5-6 and see if they pair up, then get rid of the others (not very practical for me for many reasons)? Or is there a chance that all will be good and I'll be able to keep a nice group of them happily ever after?

Sorry about all the questions, but I'm pretty torn here... :help:!!!

ScottishFish
02-03-2012, 11:51 AM
I know your local store had really nice angels but from what I have read, heard and experienced you are better getting your 5 or 6 angels when they are as small as possible. Angels raised in a tank when they are very small are often less aggressive since they have been accustomed to your tank from a small age. When they get bigger they may pair up and yes you would perhaps need to move some out. Angels on the whole are a hit or a miss, I am sure there are many members here who would that agree you sometimes get a nice couple who 'play nice' wih the rest of their tank mates, then on the other hand cause general mayhem!

I would advise just getting I single angel as then it has no pair and hopefully become aggressive! Im sure other members may have other ideas.

Remember not all cichlids are aggressive, I would highly recommend Bolivian Rams!! They are peacefull and fun to watch! Also they do well in a tank with angels!

Hope this helps a wee bit.

Goes to 11!
02-03-2012, 12:43 PM
+1 to Scottys post.

Please see post #3 here (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=87237&highlight=lost) for a cautionary tale about angel aggression. The angel pictured in that thread is roughly 3.75" body size, Tied for second largest in the 90g tank referenced.

This was the biggest mistake I have made with my fish in quite sometime. It's 100% my fault & the worst part is I know better :dunce:.

Getting 5 or 6 quarter sized angels to hope a pair forms and rehoming the rest is a fine idea, Doing it when they are 3" is not a fine idea in a 78g tank imo.
I don't think you have enough tank for everyone to claim a territory & at that size they can do some damage to each other. I am not even sure you could put enough cover in there for everyone to be happy.

If they were much smaller I would be all for it & I am not saying it is impossible but it's very very likely to get ugly fast at some point.

I would suggest either getting one of that size or if you want a pair getting the group at a much much smaller body size.

:02cents: - Good luck

EDIT: BTW cycling with bottom dwellers is not usually suggested and plecs really are better suited in a mature tank snd I hope you have some DW in there for them.

Fishin Phil
02-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Agreed with both the above posts. If it were me, I would strongly consider just getting one as a showcase fish for the tank.

something fishy
02-03-2012, 04:07 PM
So essentially you're all in agreement that 5-6 will definitely not work (I was afraid you're gonna say so:scry:), but that one as a showpiece should work. I just might do that. I still have to decide on my main group - I want a nice school. I was thinking bosmani rainbows, but they're oh so expensive :scry:.

Trillianne
02-03-2012, 04:12 PM
I agree that one large is probably the best plan, if you are wanting to stock it already grown.

You could do a pair, but keep in mind that it does cost more to buy a proven pair. Essentially someone else grew them out and seeing who pairs up part for you.

Fishin Phil
02-03-2012, 04:12 PM
I think Boesmanis would look great in that tank! Warning - I am biased.

something fishy
02-03-2012, 04:13 PM
EDIT: BTW cycling with bottom dwellers is not usually suggested and plecs really are better suited in a mature tank snd I hope you have some DW in there for them.

I know. I was planning on planting first and doing a proper cycle, but then this week my brother-in-law showed up at my door with the fish saying "he can't bear the thought of such a nice tank being empty". He's a wonderful BIL, but he doesn't know too much about fish:hmm3grin2orange:.

And yes, there's plenty of DW for the plecs.

Lady Hobbs
02-03-2012, 04:29 PM
I actually see no reason to strive to get a pair unless a person wishes to breed them. And then it comes down to having more tanks to keep the babies until they can go up for sale in a few months. Altho it's nice to have a pair together, even that can pose it's problems. A 4 ft tank is just not enough space for non pairs so I guess I would have to say to get one. I have a male in my 55 alone with rainbows and he is quite content.

something fishy
02-03-2012, 04:45 PM
I actually see no reason to strive to get a pair unless a person wishes to breed them. And then it comes down to having more tanks to keep the babies until they can go up for sale in a few months. Altho it's nice to have a pair together, even that can pose it's problems. A 4 ft tank is just not enough space for non pairs so I guess I would have to say to get one. I have a male in my 55 alone with rainbows and he is quite content.

Exactly. I have no desire in breeding them at this point. I'll probably end up going with just one.

ScottishFish
02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
What about adding a nice big school of penguin tetras, about 12? I think they are quirky and fantastic! When I move my red eyes out of my community and into my new tank that's what I'm going to do!

something fishy
02-03-2012, 05:33 PM
What about adding a nice big school of penguin tetras, about 12? I think they are quirky and fantastic! When I move my red eyes out of my community and into my new tank that's what I'm going to do!

Those are nice, but what I mainly want in my main school is lively colors. That's why I was considering angels or bosmanis. I wish there would be something as colorful as bosmanis for cheaper...