PDA

View Full Version : Plec fin

Nikkers44
02-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Hello there,
I have a pleco who is around 10yrs old. I have noticed that his fin on top is laying down and although he moves around the tank minimally he doesnt seem himself. The tanks water is a steady 78 and there are a few other fish in with him and has been for a few years now. There has been no changes in anything of the aquarium but notice today that he doesnt seem himself. Would anyone know why please?
Many thanks
Nikki

Dave66
02-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Welcome to the forum Nikki. I'd have to see the fish to understand what you are talking about, plus tank size and species of pleco.

Occurred to me, have you seen it up on the glass? Might he be slowly starving?

Dave

Nikkers44
02-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Hi Dave
thank you for replying, no he hasnt been up on the glass tonight, the tank is approx 12 ltrs. I believe he is a pleco catfish

Nikki

Dave66
02-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Nikki, there's over 750 species of pleco, aka sucker-mouthed catfish. All are native to South America. Would bet money it's a common though, since they are available in most fish stores. How large is it now?

When the fish is up on the glass, if his belly is sunken in, he's starving.

Dave

Nikkers44
02-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Dave, sorry to be so vague, yes he is the common suckermouth catfish. Why would he be starving, he is fed every night.
Many thanks

Nikkers44
02-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Dave
i have a picture but isa too large for the quota on here
regards

Dave66
02-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Nikki,
What is he fed every evening? There are two species sold under the name common pleco; one reaches a foot long, one close to two feet. How large a tank is he in?

Commons easily live for 25 years or more.

Dave

KaylNeko
02-02-2012, 01:47 AM
He said 12 liters, it looks like...I hope I read that wrong. Nikkers44, you can make a photobucket.com account and upload pictures to that, then click on the picture you uploaded, right click the picture, copy the link, then come here, post reply, click the image icon next to the hyperlink icon, and paste the link to it. It'll show up and make sure it's not too big.

Nikkers44
02-02-2012, 06:08 AM
Hi

yes it was wrong its 120 ltrs or even 180 ltrs i cant remember which...its a big one either way. We feed him pleco wafers and have done all his life. Yes he is fed every evening and is approx a foot long. I have got up this morning to find him in the same place as last night on the floor of the tank, still with the dorsel fin down OOO he has just moved swam to the top of the tank like kissed the top of the water and back down to the same spot. His belly looked a little sunken not much tho.
Thanks