PDA

View Full Version : Fromia monilis diet?

Ashurbarnipal
02-01-2012, 09:22 PM
I've recently been given a Marble Sea star by a friend who didn't realize that my tank was too young for it. Is there anything I can put in the tank for it to supplement its feeding that anyone knows of?

Dave66
02-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Macro algae. If there is an Asian grocery store nearby, purchase a sheet of nori. Tear it into strips, and place one every evening rubber-banded to a rock near where the star hangs out. If it's still up on the glass, use an aquarium safe magnetic clip for the nori.

Dave

Ashurbarnipal
02-01-2012, 09:37 PM
I already have several sheets of nori and a seaweed clip! Thank you very much, Dave.

I honestly can't imagine how much worse my tank would be if I hadn't come to this forum. You guys are all so great.

smaug
02-01-2012, 10:36 PM
I was looking into one a few months ago. All the info I saw claimed they are omnivores and look for there food in the sandbed. Food items sich as small meaty items like shrimp and other marine based proteims were advised.

Ashurbarnipal
02-02-2012, 03:52 PM
He's currently near the top of the tank, one arm actually groping at the surface water. Put a clip of nori next to him.

Wanna try that algae trick you PM'd me Dave, but does it have to be a special rock or could I just get some normal rock and boil it in some water for a few hours to clear it of bacteria and chemicals?

smaug
02-02-2012, 05:08 PM
I would be interested to hear about daves ideas on this inmore depth as well. Why not post it for all to benefit dave ole boy?! Just for curiosity sake op,what info for feeding these stars popped up on a google search? Have you tried simple staple pellets? My marbled serpant goes nut for them.

Dave66
02-02-2012, 06:37 PM
It's simple. Container of sea water, rock (dry base rock perfect), and a sunny spot. In a week or ten days thick, lush green algae on the rocks. You can also use river cobbles; rough them up with sand paper so the algae can stick to them. Then just rinse thoroughly before use.

Been doing this for decades, since I keep a lot of herbivores in both FW and Marine.

Dave

Ashurbarnipal
02-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks! You're an awesome help, Dave. I'll see if I can't find an appropriate stone and start tomorrow. I'm sure my crabs and shrimps will also appreciate it.

Hasn't really moved towards the Nori yet. It's actually just been pretty directly in the top right corner for the last 24 hours though.

Ashurbarnipal
02-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Oh it just fell down completely to the bottom. Is that normal?

Ashurbarnipal
02-03-2012, 12:15 AM
It's still not moved. I flipped it over on its back to see if the foot tubes were moving, but they were sealed shut and haven't done much except the few parts where it was slightly open sealed shut, too.

--edit-- nevermind, it started slowly moving one hand up.

Also, I was thinking of putting a tiny bit of shrimp (like less than a quarter of an inch maybe) I got from the grocery store in the tank right around where the star is tonight. What do you guys think?

Ashurbarnipal
02-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Gotta say, he isn't showing any real interest in the nori, and I've left it there two nights in a row. Perhaps it's just the brand.

Dave66
02-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Where's the star now in relation to the nori? Usually Fromia species stars find a shady spot and stick to the side of a rock. At least that's what mine has always done.

I place an algae-covered stone near his spot in the evening, since that's when it feeds. It's on the stone within an hour.

If yours has found it's 'spot', you can rubber-band that nori to a rock a few inches away from the spot. Make sure the nori is flat on the substrate.

You can make the dry seaweed more palatable for your star and clean-up crew by emulsifying it about 10 minutes in Kent Zoe (vitamins & Spirulina) or Super Selco (400 mg/l HUFAS).

Dave

Ashurbarnipal
02-04-2012, 08:42 PM
It was about two inches from it this morning, though it's since moved a bit further and I removed the nori. Actually, ever since it stoped sucking on the glass, it seems to want to go over the live rock instead.

I'm a bit surprised the other animals didn't seem to have any either. Usually my fire shrimp and crabs have at it a bit. Perhaps they're just eating all the algae and diatoms instead.

Ashurbarnipal
02-04-2012, 11:19 PM
If I had a guess, I'd say it was eating what little micro-fauna has built up in my tank over the last few months (I do know that 9 out of my 13 or so live rocks were in THEIR tanks for over a year, so there must be some food the fromia likes there) So, perhaps he'll turn to the nori later. I am putting a rock in a container today to grow some algae, but it's been overcast lately, so dunno how soon that'll develop.

Finally got a pic of it on the other side:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423174_10100576402975779_16828737_51907805_1144873 641_n.jpg

I am almost sure it has colored up since I got it. Really wanna do everything I can to ensure it survives. I've already grown attached to the little guy.