PDA

View Full Version : Feeding tips for a pleco.

ScottishFish
02-01-2012, 07:00 PM
So I picked up a pleco at my lfs store today, never kept one of them before. I have got algae sinking wafers for him/her, I read some other threads and picked up that they like cucumber and zuccini, which I take to be courgettes? So I went and cut a nice chunky slice of cucumber to drop into my tank just after I turned the light out, problem, Cucumber floats!! Never though of that before!! This might sound like a daft question but how do you get it to the pleco, are you ment to tie it to a rock? and what to tie it with? I dont want to just dive an and use thread or something unsuitable incase the plec can chew it and mess up his digestion tract!!

Any suggestions on feeding methods or alternative foods?

Thanks!!

Fishin Phil
02-01-2012, 07:02 PM
I would rubberband it to a rock.

Goes to 11!
02-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Rubberband it, Wedge a corner of it under a rock or something [This is what I usually do], You can even weight it down with a stainless steel fork. Whatever it takes to ground your courgette.

BTW, Your plecs will love it!

kampmanfan4life
02-01-2012, 09:13 PM
I have a plastic fork I use to hold down food if it floats. I first warm up the Cucumber and most of the time it will sink on it's own if warmed up, just let it cool a little.

ScottishFish
02-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys for the tips!! I have just put the tank light out and placed a nice chunky piece of cucumber stuck to a rock with a rubber band!! never warmed it up though, might try that later this week. Hopefully i will have a chance to see him/her havinga good wee munch!! Thanks again!!

AlanYoung
02-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Hi,
I like this thread, Thanks all for proving a very good information.