PDA

View Full Version : Fast growing moss?

benjaminleebates
02-01-2012, 05:18 PM
What would be a good lower light moss?
What is a really fast grow/spreading moss?
Would any moss be a good candidate for the bottom/carpet in an aquarium?

nikelodeon79
02-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Mosses are not a good choice for a carpet, because they very quickly get dirty and gross.

One of the most common low light mosses is Java moss. Another moss that generally does well under low light conditions is Christmas moss.

benjaminleebates
02-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Well, shoot.
I'm looked for something fun that my shrimp can hang out on..
I already have a marimo ball

nikelodeon79
02-01-2012, 06:31 PM
You could still add some moss... just attach it to some driftwood rather than trying to make it carpet.

Or, you could make a "moss wall." I have seen two methods: one involves smashing moss in between screen material, attaching it to the back of the tank with suction cups, and waiting for it to grow through the holes. The other method involves using fishing line to stitch the moss onto a tank divider that is then clipped to the back of your tank using the clips that came with the divider.

benjaminleebates
02-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Awesome idea!
So does moss come in a mat form, or is it loose?

benjaminleebates
02-01-2012, 07:19 PM
OH, what if...
What if I used the method mentioned, stitching the moss onto a divider, but then, place it horizontal at the bottom of the tank. Then, bi-weekly or monthly, I could lift it out and rinse it off the clean the dirtiness, mentioned by a previous post...
Would that work?

nikelodeon79
02-01-2012, 07:20 PM
It usually just comes in a wad. Regular plant businesses sell it by the "square" (2"x2", etc.) but private sellers will usually say something like, "a golfball sized chunk." You can usually get a better deal from a private seller.

bignellm
02-01-2012, 08:54 PM
It would probably be a pain, but have you Google'd Flame Moss?
http://www.google.com/search?q=flame+moss&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvnsfd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=bKYpT_r-A_Cu2AW1zbTODw&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=685

I love how this stuff looks and am going to give some of this a shot, once I can get my hands on some. :hmm3grin2orange:

benjaminleebates
02-01-2012, 09:48 PM
That look awesome!
How does moss fair on artificial decor vs driftwood?
The flame moss, what are it's light requirements?

nikelodeon79
02-01-2012, 09:54 PM
OH, what if...
What if I used the method mentioned, stitching the moss onto a divider, but then, place it horizontal at the bottom of the tank. Then, bi-weekly or monthly, I could lift it out and rinse it off the clean the dirtiness, mentioned by a previous post...
Would that work?
You could give it a try... but when you lift the entire thing out of your tank, you're going to disturb any livestock and most of the mulm will probably shake off into your tank, leaving a giant mess.

bignellm
02-01-2012, 11:34 PM
That look awesome!
How does moss fair on artificial decor vs driftwood?
The flame moss, what are it's light requirements?

I've read various requirements of that moss. There doesn't seem to be a true consensus on it's care. As it's a moss, I would start out with the idea that the requirements would be pretty close to Java Moss. Though it does seem to be in the pics, with brightly lit tanks, so maybe a little brighter than average?

Soon as I get some and get it growing on driftwood, I'll know alot more.
Far as Artificial, I would think about that one a bit. I like natural, so I use driftwood.

benjaminleebates
02-03-2012, 02:07 PM
I heard that ferts are worrisome with java moss.
I just placed a bunch in in my tank. Is there any particular fert that I should use? Or is it any, just dose sparingly? And if so, how spare?
I'd love to see pics with descriptions of dosing frequency...

nikelodeon79
02-03-2012, 03:04 PM
I heard that ferts are worrisome with java moss.
I just placed a bunch in in my tank. Is there any particular fert that I should use? Or is it any, just dose sparingly? And if so, how spare?
I'd love to see pics with descriptions of dosing frequency...
In my high light, high tech tanks, java moss always failed miserably.

It always seems to do best in my tanks with barely adequate lighting and no ferts/CO2 whatsoever.

benjaminleebates
02-03-2012, 03:38 PM
My tank is solidly in the low light category, 1 wpg appr. I have a fluval CO2 system, but nothing too high output. Heck, the CO2 generator in the kit is like .5 liters and I refill every 2-3 weeks.

Lady Hobbs
02-03-2012, 04:47 PM
My moss is attached to small pieces of wood around the tank and to rocks. Shrimp are working it constantly keeping it clean. Before I had shrimp, it was a mess. But I know of no moss that is fast growing. Christmas Moss is very pretty.

benjaminleebates
02-03-2012, 08:33 PM
I only say "fast growing" in respects to all the images that I have found online.
Many show java moss spreading quite nicely in a 4 week period.