PDA

View Full Version : Light Needs similar to Water Sprite

benjaminleebates
02-01-2012, 01:18 AM
The "science" behind the light requirements in a planted aquarium are murky at best. I only say this, because there are so many more factors behind the plant's lighting needs than just a simple bulb wattage to tank size ratio...

So, I have Water Sprite, it is doing well, I have had it for 3 weeks and new growth is sprouting from the base, and I have had minimal die off from the original branches. I am considering it a success. Keep in mind, I am still doing a fishless cycle, if that matters either way....

My question is such:
What plants would you recommend with similar lighting needs as a water sprite?
Are there any carpeting plants that require similar light? Like DHG?

smaug
02-01-2012, 01:38 AM
carpet plants require more light then water sprite., Water sprite is an undemanding plant that will do well at the lower end of what is considered med light.

Goes to 11!
02-01-2012, 01:39 AM
It's not murky at all lol, This (http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Lighting.html)should spread a little light on the subject for you. It can be a bit technical but it IS worth reading [and the links as well].

Water Sprite is a mid/low light plant - Did you read the stickys at the top of this forum? There are several there that you will find helpful.

To answer your question: No, Most carpeting plants require significantly higher lighting levels than Water Sprite as it is a mid/low light plant.

benjaminleebates
02-01-2012, 12:11 PM
I mean no disrespect with my "murky" comment, it was really more of a bad pun. I have read the Stickies on this forum and the many technical explanations. The technical discussion is what confuses me. It seems as though the superficial WPG measurement is inadequate, that is what I mean by murky.
For example, here's my tank.
29" wide, 18" from the light source the the floor of the tank.
I built a hood to house two bulbs that I already had, Both 17 watts, T-8 and 24," one is full spectrum and the other is a floramax, with curved flashing as a deflector.
When considering light output, usable light, and them being florescent, it feels to simple to simply say that I have less than 1 wpg...
If it is that simple, then so be it, but with all the reading, it seems as though there might be so much more to consider.
Any ideas?

smaug
02-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Wpg is a fair rule of thumb to get you started.Your light source put your tank firmly in low light category. T8 bulbs have low intensity compared to t5 or cfl and the diy reflector you are using is taking even more of the output away from use. If a planted tank is what you really want then I recomend a decent t5ho fixture that has at least 50 w worth of bulbs in the 6700k range. No pressurized of diy co2 would be needed at that level.

benjaminleebates
02-01-2012, 04:43 PM
I do use a CO2 kit, with a CO2 ladder.
How is my DIY reflector taking more light away from use? Would mirror work better? I can do that...

smaug
02-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I misworded the taking light away. It isn't giving you all the light from the bulbs that it could. Yes a mirror polished reflector would be much better but will not take you out of the low light bracket.

benjaminleebates
02-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Good to know...
I'm looking for something to partially cover the bottom of my tank...
Any tips on mosses, a LFS mentioned moss.