PDA

View Full Version : Where do you place your heater in your tank?

kurly
01-31-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm just curious as to where in your tank do you place your heater? I have always had my heater on the far right hand side of my tank because my cories like to swim up and down the back wall of my tank but I have read that you are supposed to place the heater closest to the flow of the water. If I did that, it would be in the middle of my tank.

What is the reason for placing the heater closest to the waterflow? For those who may have had their heater in both places (close to the waterflow and also further away) Did you see a noticeable difference in the operation of the heater or in the tank temperature for each placement?

ElizabethJKR
01-31-2012, 08:05 PM
I tend to put the heater near the filter. It allows the warm aGer the circulate through the tank instead of having warmer water near the heater and cooler water away from the heater.

Goes to 11!
01-31-2012, 08:10 PM
What is the reason for placing the heater closest to the waterflow?

When placed in the output of the filter the heater has all of the water in the tank passing over/around it and it keeps working until all of the water is at the set temp.

Provided you don't have large dead spots with no flow, Your tank will be a consistent temp.

korith
01-31-2012, 08:24 PM
I put the heater either near the filter intake or outtake. You could put it somewhere in between as well. The important thing is to put the heater where there is a good flow of water.

Goes to 11!
01-31-2012, 08:27 PM
I put the heater either near the filter intake or outtake. You could put it somewhere in between as well. The important thing is to put the heater where there is a good flow of water.Absolutely, Same principle & I should have added that.

Trillianne
01-31-2012, 08:32 PM
Mine is near my filter outflow hose. With the thermometer at the other end nearer the inflow.

Lady Hobbs
01-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Back corner next to filter.

Fishin Phil
01-31-2012, 08:57 PM
One in each back corner. I'm redundant. :hmm3grin2orange:

kurly
01-31-2012, 09:05 PM
I asked this question because about a week ago I put a digital thermometer on one side of my tank (the left side) and left my old fashioned red line reading thermometer on the side where my heater was placed (the right side)

The Digital thermometer on the side without the heater was reading 2 degrees higher which I thought was a little strange because you would think the side with the heater would read higher if there was a difference.

I'm moving my heater to the middle which is closer to the filter (even though I hate that it's not hidden a well) and see what happens. Plus that's where is should be anyway.

Could probably be just different type of thermometers giving different readings. Which brings up another question.... Which thermometer is most accurate? Digital or Old Fashioned Red Line Manual Reading ones?

I've never been as focused on the temperature in my tank until I started using the digital thermomter.... I do have the digital thermometer wire deeper in the tank than I have the Red Line Thermomter... maybe that's why I'm getting different readings.

It's not like my temps are too high and harming my fish or anything....

Just trying to figure this out!

Goes to 11!
01-31-2012, 09:08 PM
I am not sure of which thermo is most accurate, I use the alcohol ones [Red line] but I do 'scape with the intention of hiding equipment if at all possible.

nikelodeon79
01-31-2012, 09:35 PM
I always put my heater underneath the spraybar, in a horizontal position, way down at the bottom of my tank so I can block it from view with decor.

Miranda3018:)
01-31-2012, 10:38 PM
i have 1 in the back corner next my filter

sheamurai
02-01-2012, 12:21 AM
The difference in temperature may be due to the placement of the thermometers too - hot water rises, so if one thermometer is placed higher in the tank, it could be warmer than one that is down deeper, even its its closer to the tank.

I have mine under filter outputs, and the thermometer at the far end from it.

You may want to get a third thermometer for fun and use its reading as the tie breaker.

kurly
02-01-2012, 12:40 AM
The difference in temperature may be due to the placement of the thermometers too - hot water rises, so if one thermometer is placed higher in the tank, it could be warmer than one that is down deeper, even its its closer to the tank.

That's what has me baffled.... the digital is deeper in the tank and temp is higher! The Red Line thermometer is higher in the tank and temp is lower. To be honest, I'm leaning toward the Red line thermometer as being more accurate just by the feel of the water and it's reading is actually closer to the temp my heater is set at.

You may want to get a third thermometer for fun and use its reading as the tie breaker.

I don't know about that. I'm frustrated enough as it is. It'll probably give me a third reading that is different from both of them! :sconfused:

sheamurai
02-01-2012, 01:07 AM
lol well now you're just being negative! ;)

The digital should be more accurate...

kurly
02-01-2012, 01:33 AM
Negative? Who? Me? (blush) lol

Hmmmm....should I put another RedLine Thermometer higher up on the inside of the tank on the same side as the digital to see what it reads?
OR... should I stick a red line thermometer deep in the tank right beside the wire for the digital thermometer to see if the temp reads the same or different?

sheamurai
02-01-2012, 01:52 AM
I'd put the redline right beside each of them in turn. There's always a chance that really IS the temps at those locations...

wouldn't that mess with your noodle

kross
02-01-2012, 02:17 AM
Cheap digital thermometers won't be as accurate. 2 degrees is well within the variance of such a thermometer. If you want to check its accuracy, check it in boiling water, and ice water (with a high ice to water ratio).

More expensive digital thermometers can be pretty accurate, but must be calibrated to get the best accuracy.

kurly
02-01-2012, 02:35 AM
I'd put the redline right beside each of them in turn. There's always a chance that really IS the temps at those locations...

wouldn't that mess with your noodle

:sconfused: :ssuprised: Okay... you are really picking on me now!

I'm telling the mods on you :yellowcry: (lol)

kurly
02-01-2012, 02:39 AM
Cheap digital thermometers won't be as accurate. 2 degrees is well within the variance of such a thermometer. If you want to check its accuracy, check it in boiling water, and ice water (with a high ice to water ratio).

More expensive digital thermometers can be pretty accurate, but must be calibrated to get the best accuracy.

Well, I guess $7.99 would be considered a Cheap digital thermometer. And you're right, it's reading 2 degrees higher than the Red Line Thermometer.

pjaldave
02-01-2012, 07:13 AM
i got one heater in the middle of my tank as that's where it fits... it is longer than the height of my tank (18") so i put it vertically in the middle.

as for the thermometer, i got two of the old fashioned alcohol-based ones on each side of the tank. which the two does not have the same temp. the one near the output of the filter have higher reading than the one near the intake.

as for who's more accurate, i'm going for the digital ones, its only because most of them have the decimals also. as for the red line thermometer, its based on which angle you look to it: e.g when you look from a little above, it gives you lower reading, vice versa when reading it from a little below.

Goes to 11!
02-01-2012, 07:24 AM
as for the red line thermometer, its based on which angle you look to it: e.g when you look from a little above, it gives you lower reading, vice versa when reading it from a little below.I read mine on level, It seems to work better than the two options you are choosing to go with, Let's not blame the thermometer for 'operator error'.

gadget228
02-01-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm currently using these digital thermometers from Coralife ( http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3744+12089&pcatid=12089 ) but not for much longer as I no longer trust them, I have two of them that after a year of use started showing lower temps than actual and replacing the battery's doesn't help. Going to order some old fashion ones that hang in the tank.

Stlouisfish
02-01-2012, 12:52 PM
I keep mine along the back wall of the tank in between the input & output of my filter - my thermometer (not digital) is suction cupped to the inside front wall of my tank where I can see it so I know the heater is working.

Taurus
02-01-2012, 04:11 PM
My heaters are mounted horizontally 2" above the gravel and in under both the HOB filter intake and output.

Oh, and I use the ATI Aquarium Digital Thermometers mounted vertically on the opposite end of the exterior tank glass with the top of the thermometer about 6" above the bottom of the tank so when I'm doing water changes, the water level never goes below the top of the thermometer.

AmyLynn
02-01-2012, 06:41 PM
I have a titanium heater with an external control. It hangs horizontally between both filter intakes. And, it's low enough to be hidden by the plants and wood.