PDA

View Full Version : Ferts and Snails

Countrylovin4evr
01-29-2012, 10:24 PM
I have mystery snails now and was looking at all the different ferst available. It seems that almost all of them have copper sulfate in them. Wouldn't that kill my snails? One said it was safe for all inhabitants but had copper in it. It's chelated but still...
I don't want to do much in ferts but just thought I might perk up what I got. Should I just leave it to the fish?

hydra01
01-29-2012, 10:31 PM
The amount of copper in liquid fertilizers is so small, your snails would not be affected. Something like Flourish comprehensive should be fine. Copper binds readily to other elements as well, so it is not available that long as free copper

I follow the rule with all fertilizers and dose at half the recommended amount.

Alternatively, if you just want to 'perk up' your plants, you can just use a carbon dioxide supplement. Seachem is great for that.

AmyLynn
01-30-2012, 01:25 AM
I've never had problems dosing ferts in my tanks with snails.

Countrylovin4evr
01-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Oh ok. I wondered about that if it was small enough amount. I'm a bit concerned since my one snail's shell is so thin currently. I guess best thing to do is if I use those then take her out for a bit to be certain she'll be ok. Maybe good time to do that is when I try repairing shell again. I was thinking of flourish comprehensive... I saw the co2 suppliment but didn't look at it to see what it did. lol

WhistlingBadger
03-03-2012, 05:34 PM
I had exactly the same question. ought some "Plant Gro" with a bit of chelated copper in it, and wondered if it would kill my nerites.

Thanks!

Tom

Goes to 11!
03-03-2012, 06:10 PM
+1 to Flourish Comprehensive - Never had an issue.

Countrylovin4evr
03-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Good. I am trying the leaf zone from api and so far no problems