PDA

View Full Version : Banana Plant, "Nymphoides aquatica", Any Advice?

Cecile1
01-29-2012, 04:16 PM
So yesterday, with an ilfated snail, I purchased two banana plants, and having never seen them,was very interested.

It seems to have perked up quite a bit, and wondered if ferts would be recommended for such a plant- its in a 2.5 gal- but would like to grow it for a larger tank.

Also, has anyone else had these in their tank? I think this maybe a rhizome plant, or floating- mine doesn't, but other ones were at the store floated.

Thanks all!

hydra01
01-29-2012, 05:30 PM
These plants have always been hit and miss for me. The roots are planted in the ground. The bananas are actually a type of stem which store nutrients and they should be left above the surface of the substrate. Because of this, they do not need as much fertilizer as other plants.They also need pretty bright lighting. Mine did not get too tall 5-6", the leaves will grow to the surface. Interesting plant. Hope you have good luck with it.

Lady Hobbs
01-29-2012, 05:42 PM
I just put mine on the bottom of the tank with a sprinkle of substrate around the roots to hold it down. I didn't bury it at all. It's a nice plant and grew clear to the top of the tank in no time. It got what the rest of my tank got, which was a slight amount of ferts once a week but I think would have done just as well without the ferts I gave so little. Mine didn't live very long, tho.

Your post makes me want to get more now.

Cecile1
01-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Thanks all. I got my plants some API fert tabs, as they seemed to have a bit of a mg deficiency, so I hope they continue to perk up.

Are the tabs as good as the liquid drops? Also I have a regular 40 watt bulb on in a desk lamp, will this be sufficient?

@Lady Hobbs-they are quite interesting to look at, they are pretty cheap by me, about 1.00 per plant grouping.

hydra01
01-30-2012, 02:21 AM
You can try with an incandescent. My bananna plant only lasted about a month under it, flourescents are definitely the better way to go.

As for fertilizer, for heavy root feeders such as swords, bulb plants and many stem plants they recieve more nutrients from a root tab,but as for floating plants, anubias, and moss ,they benfit more from a liquid supplement. It would depend on what you are growing. a banana plant would benefit from either.