PDA

View Full Version : BN Pleco veggie schedule

SueD
01-28-2012, 05:23 PM
How often do you add veggies for your BN Plecos? I've only fed cukes and zucchini, but not even every week. They love these and I think I should be providing these on a more regular schedule. Just not sure how often. Is two-three times a week too much or too little? When I have fed these, I put them in the tank at night at lights out and remove in the morning.

toddnbecka
01-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Veggies are good for helping keep their digestive systems in good shape. I feed NLS Grow pellets and spirulina flakes as the staple diet, canned green beans once every week or so. More often won't do any harm, just doesn't seem to be necessary IME.

Lady Hobbs
01-28-2012, 08:18 PM
I don't feed veggies all the time either. A slice of cucumber or zucchini will last a couple days and by then there's nothing left. The rest of the time I drop in some algae pellets at night. Mine also eat my cichlids meaty pellets......or rather, steal them.

Goes to 11!
01-28-2012, 08:33 PM
My plecs get cucs or zuchs roughly weekly & occasionally twice a week if I can't recall if they have had them lol. Their staple is wafers and though they are not thieves they do also munch on what ever they find laying around as well

SueD
01-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks everyone. I have 2 BN's in a guppy tank so I guess they would pick up left over guppy flakes but I do drop in both algae wafers and veggie rounds regularly. There are amano shrimp in here too so I add shrimp granules and I know the amanos also go for the wafers. Everyone's healthy so I guess I the occasional fresh veggie treat looks to be OK.

SueD
01-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks everyone. I have 2 BN's in a guppy tank so I guess they would pick up left over guppy flakes but I do drop in both algae wafers and veggie rounds regularly. There are amano shrimp in here too so I add shrimp granules and I know the amanos also go for the wafers. Everyone's healthy so I guess I the occasional fresh veggie treat looks to be OK.