PDA

View Full Version : Ph questions

1961 Koi Girl
01-28-2012, 01:45 PM
I have a new aquarium which is set up very nicely and ready for fish, except for the pH levels. Now, I fight pH in my pond, constantly. I finally found a product that lowers and eventually buffers the pH levels, keeping the water quality very nice and clear. It is a combination of "good bacteria" that seeds itself in the filter media. Well, aquarium filtration doesn't have the same kind of filtration, so... my question is How do I buffer and lower the pH in my aquarium? Already the pH down is not working. My well water comes out of the tap at a perfect 7, but then soon rises. Just like in my pond.

Cliff
01-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Have you finished cycling your tank yet ?

What level does your PH stablize at ?

For aquarium use, there are products tp lower and to raise PH

I would suggest trying to find a way to aviod using them altogether to aviod PH swings that can stress your fish. Have you tried letting your tap water sit for 24 hours to allow the PH to stablize first before using it in your tank ?

Goes to 11!
01-28-2012, 02:13 PM
+1 to Cliff

Where does your ph end up IS the relevant question, But I wouldn't worry about it if you are still cycling as he mentioned.

Stability is key wrt to ph so [Provided your ph is NOT off the scale] it is generally easier on your fish to acclimate one time to whatever ph you have rather than them having to deal with the fluctuations inherent in having to adjust it for each wc.

Skyhawk
01-28-2012, 05:35 PM
I agree with last post.....I think it is better to go with what your PH is without adjusting. I got into adjusting PH in past and it drove me crazy. It seemed to go back anyway. My well puts out consistent 7.2 to 7.3 and I just leave it now and don't bother with trying to adjust. My tetras look amazingly healthy and glow very bright, they are only fish I have that should have lower ph anyway, but they have adapted nicely!!

Lady Hobbs
01-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Mine is 7.6. 7 is considered perfect and seldom do we ever have perfect. I agree with Cliff to not worry about it and allow your fish to adapt. That is unless it's over 8.

kross
01-28-2012, 11:13 PM
The nitrification process causes the pH to drop, not raise. If your pH is going up after you fill your tank, I'm thinking it must be because of something in your tank. What kind of substrate do you have? What about rocks?

smaug
01-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Ive kept ponds for years ,ph is never an issue whether its high or low. Dont mess with the ph in any chemical way,it simply is not worth it or as you state you will always be fighting it.