PDA

View Full Version : disappearing (eaten or hiding?) cherry and amano shrimp

travman
01-28-2012, 04:51 AM
Hi,

I've posted this question in another forum and didn't get a complete answer, so I'm hoping maybe someone will be able to add their knowledge.

Our 20g tank currently has 5 tiger barbs, 4 bleeding heart tetras, 3 corydoras, one rainbow shark and one SAE (as well as numerous assorted tiny snails, 3 yellow antenna snails, 3 zebra snails and one vampire shrimp). I feel the tank is quite heavily planted with what I believe to be Bacopa, Anubias and Cryptocoryne. The tiger barbs were a recent addition (on the advice of the pet store employee) along with several cherry and amano shrimp. All of the cherry shrimp and all but one amano shrimp seem to have now disappeared, and the answer I got on the other forum was they have likely been eaten, and likely aren't all hiding. I was also informed the tank is over-stocked. My family really liked the shrimp in the tank, so I would like to know if there is a particular culprit in the group of fish I have that may be eating the shrimp. Then, perhaps, we can find a new home for those fish and bring the shrimp in again. For anyone who is wondering, the water params are as follows:

Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:rises to about 20-50ppm before my weekly 20-30% water changes
Temp:76-80F
Tank is aerated, and the filter is a Fluval U2. I use Prime with my water changes, and fertilize with Flourish weekly and Flourish excel 1-2 times weekly. I was previously using Wardley's Sinking Shrimp Pellets (among others) but have discontinued using them because they contain copper sulfate and I am not sure if that may have contributed to the disappearance of the shrimp.
I live in Calgary, AB, Canada, and we have quite hard water here. The lfs says the hard water is unlikely to be the cause of the shrimp dying as the shrimp are acclimated to our water in the store.

Is it likely that the shrimp were eaten? Is there anything else that seems out of the ordinary to anyone?

Thanks in advance for your help.

genocidex
01-28-2012, 05:06 AM
welcome to the forums XD

with out even reading the full thing i would thing the TBs are to blame XD or the rainbow shark.

i would thin out some of those snails and remove all the TBs, shark, and SAE. the reason for this is the snails and sae are eating the shrimps algae. and the sae needs to be schooled together. i would just keep those cories and tetras (maybe the viper shrimp dont know much on them) with the regular shrimp. add up on the tetras and cories tho....

and yes the tank is over stocked but i wont nag you for that :P

btw is this a 20 long or tall?

pjaldave
01-28-2012, 07:14 AM
Welcome to the forum! :19:

As for your tank, I am inclined to say that it is almost overstocked. Or might be actually overstocked with the rainbow shark. Not too sure there.

I'm gonna say the same thing, the tiger barbs (TB) would be the one I will blame on eating the shrimp as they're on the semi-aggressive side. I will suggest that you take out those and the rainbow shark if possible. And as genocidex mentioned, SAE is better in schools (that's if you have the TRUE one) and they eat the same thing as the snails and shrimps.

Plus, what is your LFS? I would suggest going to Big Al's or similar fish store and not Petsmart nor Petland.

And hey, never thought sinking pellets would have copper sulfate! It might actually be a problem somewhere. But I am not too sure about this.

sheamurai
01-28-2012, 11:09 AM
+2 to above. Most likely its the Tiger Barbs, and I would definitely rehome that shark, and the SAE may not have enough chow seeing as you've got so many snails. I don't think your tank is overstocked once the SAE and shark are gone, not in a heavily planted tank. Rehome them, get some more shrimp, and see if they still disappear on you. If they do, then you know its the barbs and you can trade them in. The cories would be happier if you added to their school, as well.

I've never fed shrimp pellets, but it seems to me that a company wouldn't put poison in fish food - seems kinda bad for business.

Here is an article here on AC that mentions that Tiger barbs like to eat small crustaceans...
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/barbs/tigerbarb.php

travman
01-28-2012, 02:36 PM
it is a 20 gallon "tall" tank.

I had picked up the SAE because I have started getting what looks like black brush algae growing at the nodes of my bacopas. It isn't a lot, but I didn't want it to become a problem :(

My lfs has been Petland on occasion, but usually I make the trip up to Pisces Pets. I've never been to Big Al's, might be worth a look.

What do you recommend for school sizes for the corys/tetras? When we first got the tetras, we were told they wouldn't get too big, but they've gotten huge, so I don't know if we can add too many of those.

pjaldave
01-28-2012, 08:01 PM
For MOST people, a school of fish starts at 6 individuals. I can easily put 6-7 tetras in your tank but not corys. There's not a lot of footprint for them in a tall tank.

ekfishlover2011
01-28-2012, 10:52 PM
my bleeding heart is only about maybe 2in long and almost 2in tall. Hes full grown, so i would think yours should stop around there at the biggest. like previous said, 6 or 7 can fit, but not much more of those guys.