PDA

View Full Version : New 4" anubia on rock

cardiocentric
01-28-2012, 01:52 AM
Have I done this correctly? I am new at this, so I'm not quite sure. I sure like the way it looks, but can't procure/afford any driftwood.
http://i44.tinypic.com/nlc2o8.jpg

gm72
01-28-2012, 02:01 AM
Looks right to me. It will be very slow to attach, probably a few months I would think.

cardiocentric
01-28-2012, 02:13 AM
it was a pain attaching it to the rock, i'd read that fishing line or a rubberband was suitable, but of course i had neither. SO, i had to resort to THREAD, and i lost my patience with it several times before getting it into place.. thankfully it's in it's new home and i'll never have to move it again. lol. any good online suppliers of driftwood? my large anubia needs to be mounted like this and i didn't know until later that was somewhat of a requirement.
*wishing for my 20 gallon tank already*

nikelodeon79
01-28-2012, 05:19 AM
Thread is actually the method I use cause it eventually rots away... No need to remove it once the plant attaches itself.

Strider199
01-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Looks great cardiocentric! Well done.thumbs2:

cardiocentric
01-28-2012, 06:05 AM
awesome!!!! i thought thread might've been the way to go. :D

gm72
01-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Attaching to driftwood, while aesthetically good to have, is not a requirement. I have a lot of anubias and most are planted in substrate. They do wonderfully.

Strider199
01-28-2012, 07:00 PM
^^^ thumbs2: I also like the look of an anubias planted in the substrate, just remember to leave the rhizome above the substrate a wee bit.

Countrylovin4evr
01-28-2012, 07:24 PM
As I mentioned in my thread- I have split one into two- and the one that has access to the substrate is growing a new leaf after only a month of having it while the other just attached to wood is not growing any new stuff. The rock/wood does help keep it down- so you could probably attach to small rock for weight and then plant it. And for driftwood-- I went to river and got my own. Boiled it and soaked it and voila'!

I read/saw something somewhere that people took extra roots from them and attached it to wood and just left it partly in water and they grew new plants. Has anyone else heard of this?

Lady Hobbs
01-28-2012, 07:35 PM
I love anubias and especially having so many types to pick from. I bought some awesome anubias from one of our members a couple months ago and was about ready to cry when it appeared to be dying. Apparently it went into a bit of a shock because now I have a bunch of new leaves appearing and am soooo tickled. Just don't panic, as I did, if you loose a bit of it before it takes off. It looks very nice. I used the fishing line because I had it (and had NO thread.) LOL

Strider199
01-28-2012, 07:39 PM
. I used the fishing line because I had it (and had NO thread.) LOL

LOL Now that is different. :hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs>>>>>>GONE FISHING!

Lady Hobbs
01-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Can you tell I don't sew? LOL I don't own a needle either.

cardiocentric
01-29-2012, 06:26 AM
I'm trying to recreate the frogs home as much as possible. i saw this special on natgeo last night where they mapped the congo river topographically using sonar and kayaks [BRAVE kayakers], and apparently it's now the deepest river in the world. the scientist who looked into the river in depth wondered why there were so many varieties of strange cichlids and such monstrous tigerfish lurking there, and now they've figured out the depths and currents isolated species... it was VERY interesting, i recommend checking out the special if you're into that sort of stuff

jhays79
01-30-2012, 12:50 AM
how deep does it get?

AmyLynn
01-30-2012, 02:18 AM
Thread and I don't tend to get along. Especially once it gets wet. I actually glue my rhizome plants (anubias, java fern, african water fern) with plain old superglue. The thick gel works the best. Just a drop or two and hold the plant in place for a few seconds. *voila*