PDA

View Full Version : anubius

Countrylovin4evr
01-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Do they have to be attached to wood or rock? I mean they have some awesome roots so could I just plant one of mine straight into sand/eco complete

Trillianne
01-28-2012, 12:08 AM
So long as the rhizome is above the surface you can plant the roots growing off it into the substrate.

If you cover the rhizome (that rooty piece that all the roots AND the leaves grow from) then it will rot away.

Strider199
01-28-2012, 04:13 AM
Plus 1 Trillianne! I have an anubius planted in my shrimp tank with the rhizome about 1/2 inch off the gravel and it's been growing longer for a year now. The rhizome being suspended above the gravel by the roots looks really neat. Kind of jungle like.

Countrylovin4evr
01-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Awesome! Yeah I was thinking they might get better nutrients that way since I have the eco complete mixed in with sand. Right now I have one that I split at the rhizome rubberbanded to the driftwood. I think it would be cool if I can have them go fully along my driftwood with the roots growing down into substrate making it more jungle-like as I have dinosaur figures in tank. lol. But if it helps it grow a little better right now I may stick them down into sand first. I understand they are really slow unless I keep leaves about water. I may try moving one for awhile to an old tank and getting an uv light for my hermit crab light to grow it faster for now. my hermit died so I've got a tank that would be great for growing out. I've got plant split with a 3 leaf one and a 5 leaf one I think it is getting some new growth but it's hard to tell. It is anubius nano - any suggestions on helping it?

Trillianne
01-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Talk about jungly.... take a look at these roots from my anubias that is growing on my rock:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/997/roots.jpg

Countrylovin4evr
01-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Oh THAT is SO COOL! I'm excited! I just found that the smaller piece I cut off has A NEW LEAF!!!! Now this one is sitting on a driftwood piece but it's close enough to the sand that some of the roots where touching- so I've dug it in deeper when I could and after seeing the new leaf I buried the roots well. I have the rhizome on top sticking between the crack in the wood so it can climb up and along. The other plant doesn't seem to have any new sprouts on it but is well. It is hooked to driftwood without touching the sand as it's higher up. Might be better for me to plant it for awhile then hook it on wood later. I love jungles! I want a jungle room. lol

DeadSulphurhead
03-28-2012, 03:38 PM
I can't wait until my Anubias cover my Malawi tank in 20 years! lol I have 6 different variations.
Such slow growers (Moderate light), but always hardy and healthy.
My cichlids don't touch them either.

mermaidwannabe
03-29-2012, 12:13 AM
My tall Anubias in my 65 not only sends roots down from the base, but I also see roots cascading down from higher up on the plant. It's beginning to have that jungle feel to it ... Huge leaves!

Some nibbling, but not that much, really.

As for roots covering a rock, in my 20, the java moss has a criss-cross patchwork of roots all over the ornamental rock I bought. I just placed the clump of moss behind it, between the rock and the rear glass panel, to hold it in place better, and it has taken over that spot.

Flourish works! ...

-- mermaidwannabe