PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizer? Who uses them?

FishFinatic
01-27-2012, 08:38 PM
I recently just had my first break out of ICH in one of my CA/SA tanks with silver dollars. Out of stupidy I didnt quarantine a new fish an sure enough, I got ICH. I have it under control, but now im worried about it coming back or other problems killing my fish.

How many of you use or have used UV Sterilizers and what is your experience with them. What are the benifits in your experience? Would they be worth investing in?

Goes to 11!
01-27-2012, 09:46 PM
I only have FW tanks but I don't run UV, Never saw any need for it. YMMV :22:

Cliff
01-27-2012, 09:52 PM
I looked into them before, both for my FW and SW tanks

I personally did not see the value in running one in any of my tanks

Surfdog
01-29-2012, 02:24 AM
I run UV's in all my tanks, and since I installed it after a bout with red slime, I have never again had an algae bloom, ich or other deseases I see mentioned in the forum. I personally can see no harm in killing free floating organisms in my Tanks. My fish are healthy and I know my water is clean of parasites/unwanted biologicals....
:22:

Dacotah7
01-29-2012, 08:21 AM
I have been thinking about getting one to get my algae situation under control, but have not crossed that point just yet. First I am trying other methods, filtration, water changes, cut back on feeding, reducing the hours the lights are on and stopped fertiling the plants (for now).