PDA

View Full Version : Snail eggs?

kilyth
01-27-2012, 11:15 AM
So, I have pond snails, I think. They must have teleported in. Or I guess, at a long shot, they could have stowed away on some cabomba. All the research I've done says they're a sign of overfeeding, so I've cut back on that.

Last night I noticed some white dots on the driftwood. They don't look like the snail eggs I've seen online which are laid in clumps, but I don't know what else they could be. There are tetras and gouramis in the tank as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/kilyth/dots.jpg

hardlytangerine
01-27-2012, 01:05 PM
pond snails eggs are in a sort of jelly sack, clear jelly with tiiiiny white dots inside. I haven't seen tetra eggs or gourami eggs before so if you want to, try to carefully peel them off and keep them in a breeder tank or something to see if they will survive (tetras will eat their eggs and fry wont they?)

kilyth
01-27-2012, 01:13 PM
I did a bit more research and discovered that my nerite snail is the culprit. They can't reproduce in freshwater, but apparently it doesn't stop them trying!

nikelodeon79
01-27-2012, 02:55 PM
I was going to ask if you had a nerite. :)

I love nerites... hate their eggs.

kilyth
01-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Will they eventually degrade on their own, or will I have to scrape them off?

Goes to 11!
01-27-2012, 11:28 PM
I did a bit more research and discovered that my nerite snail is the culprit. They can't reproduce in freshwater, but apparently it doesn't stop them trying!
Yup - Those are neritina eggs - They last forever it seems but eventually you don't notice them anymore.

I scrape them off the glass but the DW ones I just let the plecs take care of.