PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning External Canister Hoses

xDIRTYSOUTHx
01-27-2012, 03:40 AM
So for the last hour I have been trying to clean my hoses and can't seem to get much done. Anyone here have a trick or tool to clean long hoses? I looked around online for pipe cleaners but they are mostly only a foot or so long. Most of my hoses are about 6' to 8' long.

I would hate to just buy new hoses with the ones I have being in such good shape.

Goes to 11!
01-27-2012, 04:18 AM
There are brushes you can get [but nothing long enough] I also recently saw a post by someone on here about a magnetic type but a quick search could not locate it.

Maybe they will see this and repost.

Just curious, Why are your hoses so long?

EDIT: Found it! It's Here. (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=86204)[I was pretty sure it was smaug & I was right]

xDIRTYSOUTHx
01-27-2012, 04:49 AM
- MagFox Magnetic Hose Cleaning Brush -
http://www.aquariumguys.com/magfox-hose-cleaning-brush.html

That looks like it just might do the job. Thanks!

The reason the hoses were so long is my iron stands didn't have enclosures for filters so all hoses and whatnot were ran through the wall into a storage room/pump room.

Goes to 11!
01-27-2012, 04:54 AM
YVW - :22:

Got it, I figured there was a good reason

Dacotah7
01-27-2012, 05:44 AM
Toss the hoses in the bath tub or coil them in a bucket and add a water-bleach solution. Wait, giving the bleach time to work, flush the hoses by holding the end under the spigot and rinse everything.

Like 850R, I am also curious why your hoses are so long.
It doesn't matter, except that extra hose length and elbows reduce pressure and as a result, reduce flow. Given the length, the reduction may be minor.

korith
01-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Toss the hoses in the bath tub or coil them in a bucket and add a water-bleach solution. Wait, giving the bleach time to work, flush the hoses by holding the end under the spigot and rinse everything.

Yep I do this as well. Rinse and let the hose dry till you can't smell the bleach smell no more. Sometimes the hoses are too far gone to clean, I just replace the hose with tubing I get from home depot. Tubing is around 20 cents a foot there.

If you are trying to clean your python hose which can be easily 25' or more, I put it into a bucket or bin, and clean it using the same method. The only exception is I'll put a powerhead or pump on one end of the hose and let it run. That way the bleach/water mix goes thru the whole tube, then rinse the same as before.