PDA

View Full Version : Question on water changes?

Old Marine
01-25-2012, 08:53 AM
When you do a water change, do you add the water back straight in the tank and add the conditioner as you fill it, or do you use buckets and add the conditioner, let them sit a while and then put it in the Aquarium? I will be doing first water change in a week or two on a newly cycled tank. I do not want to mess up all the hard work that i have put in to establish a good bacteria bed and proper temperature for my new mbunas when i buy them.

Fishin Phil
01-25-2012, 10:12 AM
I use Prime and add the conditioner directly to the tank, then add the freshwater immediately.

WoadCelt
01-25-2012, 11:24 AM
I use Tetra Aquasafe. I fill up the needed volume of tap water in a bucket, then I add the required amount of Aquasafe to the bucket. I then give it a quick stir - it works extremely rapidly. I then use a smaller jug to gently transfer the dechlorinated water between the bucket and the tank so there is minimal disturbance to the fish.

I hope this doesn't confuse you as the previous poster had a different method. I think people all have their preferred way of doing it, and you'll also work out what feels best to you once you've done it a few times.

I just add the dechlorinator before adding the water to the tank because I felt most confident doing it that way, and didn't want any chance of any chlorine or chloramine getting near my fish! (Might be a bit paranoid of me though...lol!) :ssmile:

rich311k
01-25-2012, 12:17 PM
I put enough in the tank for the whole volume of the tank and then refill.

Stlouisfish
01-25-2012, 12:36 PM
I also add enough Prime for the entire tank (1 capful) and then add fresh water - it mixes instantly as you pour in the new water so no fear of fish being exposed to chlorine.

SueD
01-25-2012, 01:30 PM
When I use the python to fill the tank, I add Prime as the tank is filling - dose for full tank. For smaller tanks where I use a bucket, I treat the bucket, then fill tank.

Crispy
01-25-2012, 01:36 PM
I fill buckets, treat, then let sit for 5-10 mins. I do this twice a week on my 190g. it's a PITA, but I have a small army of buckets that I use. it's the only way I will do it until I have a R/O system and an autochanger. I'm a little paranoid of my stock. :11:

kurly
01-25-2012, 02:20 PM
When I use the python to fill the tank, I add Prime as the tank is filling - dose for full tank. For smaller tanks where I use a bucket, I treat the bucket, then fill tank.

I do it the exact same way in both scenarios.

A Railgun
01-26-2012, 02:59 AM
Well according to ur profile you have a 75 gallon tank so i would suggest buying a python or as some others a small army of buckets. lol The python is one of the best purchases i have made for my aquarium maintainence. Cuts my water changes to less than half the bucket method time.

Like most people have stated i use a python and add the dechlorinator directly to my tank.

Old Marine
01-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Python it is, and then adding conditioner for 75 gallons at once, then i refill from the faucet. Thank You all for the valuable information.

Dacotah7
01-26-2012, 09:36 AM
I fill buckets, treat, then let sit for 5-10 mins. I do this twice a week on my 190g. it's a PITA, but I have a small army of buckets that I use. it's the only way I will do it until I have a R/O system and an autochanger. I'm a little paranoid of my stock. :11:

Who sells autochangers, or is it a D.I.Y project?

jamie9999
01-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Hi everyone,
Hoping some one can help. I did a test on my water and everything came back fine except that it said I have dangerously hard water. Everything I read online says to fix it to play with the PH or add this calcium somethin or other. If my PH is reading as fine why would I want to change it? What do I do? Thanks in advance

kurly
01-27-2012, 12:19 AM
Python it is, and then adding conditioner for 75 gallons at once, then i refill from the faucet. Thank You all for the valuable information.

Python is the only way to go when you have larger tanks. That's one purchase I have never regretted.

xDIRTYSOUTHx
01-27-2012, 03:06 AM
You can get an adapter for your sink that allows you to add a basic water hose to it. Cost is about $3 at many hardware stores. Just make sure you bring the faucet tip from your sink to compare the size needed. Water hoses cost as low as $5 at walmart.

A big thing I don't like about python is that you need to have the faucet running while you're cleaning your tanks(seems so wasteful). Python is far to expensive for it's task IMO.

Goes to 11!
01-27-2012, 03:17 AM
A big thing I don't like about python is that you need to have the faucet running while you're cleaning your tanks(seems so wasteful).

No, You don't.

xDIRTYSOUTHx
01-27-2012, 03:44 AM
No, You don't.

So what's the point of buying one if you would just siphon into a bucket or outside? I'm guessing that's what you mean by "No, you don't"

Goes to 11!
01-27-2012, 03:58 AM
So what's the point of buying one if you would just siphon into a bucket or outside? I'm guessing that's what you mean by "No, you don't"Lol, Guess again. ;-P

I can siphon into my sink or tub [or yes even outside actually] from some of my tanks without having the water running [Can't do it from the bottom of a double stand obviously]. You don't have to have the faucet running - That's what I mean by "No. You don't".

I have one because it's convenient to have an easy way to fill & empty tanks as I change about 175g a week.

EDIT: I don't use running water to drain the tanks that are low btw - I use a powerhead to pump it out.