PDA

View Full Version : Very poorly reed fish- please help!!

fraley
08-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Hi all, my tank had been running fine with no health problems. Two days ago i bought two apple snails and a small syno, the reed fish looked fine that morning but did not come out to eat that evening. Yesterday i did not see him again, which isnt too unusual as he hides all day in his tube. This morning he was out of his tube and the two apple snails were in there, he was lying lifeless under a rock, his head is covered in what looks like fungus! His mouth and gills are very red ( looks like blood ), and his eyes are even covered in white fungus. I disturbed him to see how bad it was and he seems to have a problem with his swim bladder, his head is on the gravel but his tail is rising up to the surface. he is having trouble breathing.

I have treated the tank for fungus infection and added aqualibrium salt for the bladder problem.

Can anybody add any light to the situation please as he really doesnt look like he's going to last much longer.

gm72
08-19-2007, 02:22 PM
If it is that bad he probably won't make it. Watch adding salt and medications--snails don't like them at all!

You introduced a very bad fungal infection to the tank. Watch your other fish very closely.

RobbieG
08-19-2007, 02:56 PM
The snails may have slimed him in the tube - try to clean him off if you can

fraley
08-19-2007, 06:29 PM
oh dear, looks like ive lost the snails now, shame the fish store didnt tell me to be careful when they sold me the salt, as they are the same store that sold me the snails!!

Just went to remove the reed fish because he looked dead but he made a last attempt to swim, its really horrible to watch.

The store told me that the snails couldnt have carried the infection because they are invertebrates, is this true? and the small syno isnt having any problems, as well as all other tankmates so im confused as to why this one fish has got it so bad and so quickly that i havent had a chance to cure it.

Also is it not strange that he got this fungus around his eyes and mouth and a swim bladder problem at the same time or do they often work hand in hand.