PDA

View Full Version : Common pleco has been 2 inches for over a year, why?

stalefish83
01-23-2012, 11:54 PM
I have a common pleco that was in a 20 gallon for about a year. We upgraded to a 60 gallon 2 or 3 months ago and I had hoped (am still hoping) that he grows but he's still the same 2 inches long he's always been. We drop an algae disc a day for him, sometimes 2. Has he been stunted from being in a 20 for too long?

Any ideas on what I can do to get him up to size?

Thanks!

Northernguy
01-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Are you sure it is a common pleco?
Sorry for the doubts but that is real small for a common,even stunted.
Can you get a pic of it?

stalefish83
01-24-2012, 12:18 AM
It might be 2 1/2, maaaybe 3 inches... but yea, I'll post a pic when I get a chance. I'm pretty sure it's a common. It looks exactly like a mini version of the huge ones. Is there dwarf plecos that look just like the commons in coloration and shape?

kampmanfan4life
01-24-2012, 01:28 AM
I don't know this or not but once a fish is stunted does it ever grow even if put into larger tank?

I do agree tha even with a 20 I'd think it would grow bigger than 2-3 inches. Do you know what it was living in before you got it? Maybe if it was in somthing like under 10 gallons it got stunted before it really even started growing?

Maybe try feeding him more variety too, cucumbers and food like that, I don't think that'd be the problem though.

Pleco380
01-24-2012, 06:11 AM
I agree that it probably isn't a common pleco. Maybe a clown pleco?