PDA

View Full Version : Alrighty!

ND120883
08-19-2007, 05:31 AM
Fish = dead

Algae = taking over

Algae needs to be knocked down. What are the best critters to do it? I have some blue leg hermit crabs and that's it really.

Dave66
08-19-2007, 05:46 AM
Why did the fish die? What species did you have. What are your tank parameters?
Depends on the size of the tank, but a tang will happily mow down the green stuff. Snails of the genus Turbo would also do the job, the number depending again, on tank size. Both would need feeding of macro-algae and frozen foods for herbivores after they eliminate the algae.

Dave

unleashed
08-19-2007, 09:28 AM
how long has the tank been set up and what are your parameters?

coachfraley
08-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Cutting back on the light always helps

2manyfish
08-19-2007, 03:48 PM
I think in another post you said you had a 40g? How is your cycling coming along?

IMO the best thing you can do right now would be some testing of your water...see where your ammonia, nitrites are at. If all is well then add some mexican turbo snails. They will get rid of the algae better than anything else.

If you have any levels of ammonia, or nitrites, then you will either have to wait until your tank finishes cycling or you must do some water changes to get those levels down to 0 before you add any snails. IME, snails are very sensitive to any ammonia, nitrites. If your tank is still cycling you will also need to do waterchanges until the cycle is completed to keep those snails from dying off.

ND120883
08-20-2007, 12:56 PM
about 40g or so, that's correct. Its been set up for nearly 4 months now, and I'm pretty sure this is the "algae bloom" everyone keeps talking about. First all my damsels started kicking the bucket, then my starfish, then the last and the biggest damsel (my boy Blue, I was very sad to see him go). The snails seems to have all died. Dark green algae is now smothered all over my liverock. The only thing left alive are my blue leg hermit crabs.

I'm gonna go hit the tests here soon and see what comes up. I know I had really high phosphates for a while, but I'd gotten that under control when I found out my roommate was tossing like 7 entire giant flakes in there like 15 times a day and I made him stop.

zackish
08-21-2007, 05:01 AM
about 40g or so, that's correct. Its been set up for nearly 4 months now, and I'm pretty sure this is the "algae bloom" everyone keeps talking about. First all my damsels started kicking the bucket, then my starfish, then the last and the biggest damsel (my boy Blue, I was very sad to see him go). The snails seems to have all died. Dark green algae is now smothered all over my liverock. The only thing left alive are my blue leg hermit crabs.

I'm gonna go hit the tests here soon and see what comes up. I know I had really high phosphates for a while, but I'd gotten that under control when I found out my roommate was tossing like 7 entire giant flakes in there like 15 times a day and I made him stop.

Tossing that much food in could have lead to high ammonia/nitrites.

zackish
08-21-2007, 05:02 AM

zackish
08-21-2007, 05:02 AM

zackish
08-21-2007, 05:03 AM
aaa shit how do you delete messages?

ND120883
09-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Scratch everything guys, I'm just a dumbass.

I've been replenishing with saltwater, forgetting that salt doesn't evaporate. My salinity is at like 1.053 or something ridiculous like that.

cocoa_pleco
09-01-2007, 11:06 PM
thats what mine was when i came back to europe, and that was the 33g. half a pail of FW and it went to 1.025, lost 90% of my mushrooms

ND120883
09-02-2007, 12:17 AM
my only question is now that the Dead Sea has killed all my fish, once I restore the salinity to proper levels how is my tank gonna react? Is it just gonna go back to normal (all my other levels were okay), or am I gonna have to start cycling all over again?

cocoa_pleco
09-02-2007, 12:20 AM
i read that the good bacteria can survive up to 1.035 but after i fixed my salt tank (which has no filter, only a skimmer) everything was fine

ND120883
09-02-2007, 04:11 AM
ya but i've been replenishing with saltwater for 6 months now...my salinity's at 1.053-ish. Like...off the charts. The guy at the fish store I went to was like "HOLY CRAP!" when he saw it.