PDA

View Full Version : Cherry or Crystal shrimp breeding

benjaminleebates
01-22-2012, 08:02 PM
I am almost done with my fishless cycling.
I am thinking about what all I want in my tank.
I definitely want cherry and/or crystal shrimp. It's just that they are so expensive at the LFS, over 5$ each. I would like to get a few a have them breed so I don't spend "an arm and a leg."
Any tips on water conditions, temps, plants, etc. that help along the amour? :1luvu:
I'd like to have the tank primed before I buy them.
Thanks

Brhino
01-23-2012, 01:09 AM
I don't know much about crystal shrimp, but I keep cherry shrimp. They breed very easily. I started by buying a small group online - I got 20 for $20 (and shipping was included) from aquabid, and within six months I had hundreds of them.

kurly
01-23-2012, 03:06 AM
I had the same experience as Brhino. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg if you buy your Cherry Shrimp online. I've never kept Crystal Red Shrimp but I believe they are more expensive than Cherries, more sensitive and it's a little harder for them to breed.

If you keep up with your water changes, maintain correct parameters and do not have fish that will eat your Cherry Shrimp then they will breed pretty easily.

toddnbecka
01-23-2012, 03:25 AM
If you have hard/alkaline water it's easier to work with cherry (or yellow, pumpkin, or even blue pearl if you like the color/s better.) Just don't mix them, they're all Neocaridina species and will interbreed.
Softer/acidic water is better suited to crystal red or tiger shrimp.

Lady Hobbs
01-23-2012, 04:25 AM
I also got mine from a seller on Aqua bid and also 20. Maybe from the same seller as the others. However, with it so cold right now, I'd wait until winter was over to order them.

toddnbecka
01-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Shipping in the winter isn't a problem with stryo insulated boxes and heat packs as long as they're packed properly.