PDA

View Full Version : More ick...

WoodstockLover8
01-21-2012, 08:31 PM
So this is the second outbreak of Ick that I have had... Here are the facts.

1. The first outbreak was in a different tank so it's not a reoccurring thing. As in, this is the first time this particular tank has had ick.

2. Each time it has been because of the introductory of new fish. The fish looked happy and healthy when I bought them or else I would not have purchased them.

3. The meds seem to help but it kills all my tetras... (in both instances)

My question is - Would you suggest treating for Ick as soon as I get new fish in a quarantine tank before introducing them into the main tanks? I'm sick of dealing with this disease and I'm sick of all my silicone turning blue. My only concern with trying to treat for it before I see it is that I may kill off my new fish (ie. Tetras). What do you do when you get new fish and put them in quarantine? Do you treat them for anything? Just curious.

kurly
01-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Sorry to hear you are having Ich problems again.

I always put new fish in quarantine for two weeks (usually) and monitor them daily. I don't treat them until something comes up. Fortunately for me nothing ever has.

Now there may be others that say they treat their new fish in the QT as soon as they put them in but I don't like to medicate until I see something that needs medication.

vinodjbhatia
01-22-2012, 05:50 PM
I too quarantine for 2 weeks or so and no meds unless there is a problem.

Normally if you have Ick on the fish while you bring it in, it should show in 2 weeks. Also, I have read very often that the Ick parasite is present in most (or even all) aquariums but healthy fish are able to fight it off. Don't know if that's true, but yes, stress and poor water quality does cause fish to become susceptible to Ick.

What are your water parameters?

bignellm
01-26-2012, 02:54 PM
+1 to above. QT is a must and so is not using the stores tank water they ship the fish to you in. I net them (the fish I buy) out and put into a bucket of fresh that has some salt in it. Not sure if the salt gives the Ich the boot off and out of fish, but think it boosts their slime coat. Then I net them out of bucket and transfer to QT.

hyp0r
01-26-2012, 03:32 PM
When you treat for your Ich do you use the full dosage? The bottle should say to use a half dosage or less for tetras. If the bottle doesn't say that look for a new med that does say that. I actually dose one third of a regular dose.

+1 kurly & vinodjbhatia. If the fish has Ich you'll see it, don't treat for Ich if you don't see it. Some people treat for internal parasites when they put a new fish in QT. Since you can't see internal parasites you can do this. I think the meds they use are like Metro and/or Prazipro.

nikelodeon79
01-26-2012, 03:45 PM
I quarantine new fish for at least two weeks, as well. I actually got in a batch with ich and am treating them in quarantine right now.

Please post your water parameters, tank size, and complete stock list. Ich can be brought in by new fish, but often it's a sign that something isn't right in your aquarium. Stressed fish are usually very prone to ich.

Stlouisfish
01-26-2012, 04:40 PM
You can't treat for ich unless you see symptoms present (white salt-like spots on the fish & rubbing against objects) and you know the lifecycle of the parasite to know when to treat. Ich isn't treatable until the parasite falls off the fish into the substrate.

As others above have stated, many "de-worm" their fish in quarantine but generally speaking, it's stress that will potentially cause the parasite to "show up" if present in the new fish - from poor water parameters, not acclimating long enough (to your pH), etc.