PDA

View Full Version : Do jellyfish have any enemies? Urgent, need for school reprt

chey_chey
05-19-2006, 03:31 AM
My name is chey and I am in urgent need for info on jellyfish! Needed asap! I am in 5th grd. please help! Do jellyfish have enemies and what eats jellyfish other than humans? :?

rollie
05-19-2006, 03:38 AM
yes they do, but i can not spell it name. it i belever have 8 long arms and a beak type mouth and live in the sea. i know what it is but can not spell it. sorry.

rollie
05-19-2006, 03:48 AM
it an octopus!!read it in the book.

William
05-19-2006, 04:29 AM
A lot of animals eat Jellyfish including a large number of fish.

rollie
05-19-2006, 09:11 AM
yes, but this book, said the octopus, was their main enemy, if they know what they was talking about.

Madc0ws
05-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Is'nt it a bit dangerous for a kid to keep a jelly fish for a pet?

William
05-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Octupuses can be the worst enemy for some but not most Jellyfish simple because most jellyfish live in open waters where there are no Octopusses (squid and pearlboats yes, but no squid)

Madcows: there are a lot of harmless jellyfish but all jellyfish are very hard to keep as pets.

DemonShark
05-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Hes doing a school report and not keeping jellyfish! madc0ws lol

wordgurl
04-06-2009, 09:45 PM
are there any more enemies? im doing a report 2

dmagerl
04-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Why not write a report on how the collapse of the world fisheries have eliminated most of jellyfish predators and now jellyfish are taking over the oceans. In the future, mankind will be the major predator

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126981.900-jellyfish-sushi-seafoods-slimy-future.html

Heliwyr
04-07-2009, 02:29 AM
Why not write a report on how the collapse of the world fisheries have eliminated most of jellyfish predators and now jellyfish are taking over the oceans. In the future, mankind will be the major predator

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126981.900-jellyfish-sushi-seafoods-slimy-future.html
Probably because when I was in 5th grade, I would never have been able to think on that level let alone write a coherent report?

Don't sea turtles like jellyfish? Or a couple of species do anyway.

I understand that the two of you are what...11? So, I obviously couldn't advise you to look around on google.

I would suggest you check out some books at your library. There should be something on marine life there. Try looking at ecosystems based around reefs. (Maybe I'm just hoping too much that you are bookworms like I was. :D)

mommy1
04-07-2009, 02:32 AM
the ridley sea turtle eat jelly fish

Algenco
04-07-2009, 02:32 AM
the Ocean sunfish, Mola, feeds almost exclusively on jellyfish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_sunfish

Northernguy
04-07-2009, 03:41 AM
WoW That thing gets huge!thumbs2:

Heliwyr They are already surfing the net! lol:14:

Glub
04-07-2009, 09:00 AM
I don't know, so I can't help you, but google can... :ssmile:

Wikipedia would probably be a great place to start.

I don't think when your teacher said you could research on the internet they meant "join a forum and ask them for the answer" (it's his first post). Nothing guarantees we're correct, you're basically asking strangers, who may, or may not know much more about jellyfish than you do.

It would actually be much faster to do a google search than to wait for a comprehensive list of answers and discussions of verification.

We can guarantee you this though. We do not (can't speak for everyone 0.o) feed any of our fish jellyfish in our aquariums.

Good luck!

Northernguy
04-07-2009, 01:51 PM
I hope we get read your assignments!
We are always in search of fresh info about anything that lives in the water.
Don't forget to tell your folks that you want an aquarium now.
They are extremely educational!:22:

Heliwyr
04-07-2009, 02:14 PM
WoW That thing gets huge!thumbs2:

Heliwyr They are already surfing the net! lol:14:

Of course, doh. My age is showing... (blush)

When I was their age, I had to play Solitaire and that new fangled Sega they released. Didn't have any of this here intarwebs.

Northernguy
04-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I was really worried about my kids surfing the net without supervision.
You just have to learn to trust them and hope that they stick to what they are searching for.Although it is a little easy to get sidetracked when surfing!lol
Besides my wife gets to scan their computers every night so we can find out what they have been searching for!:hmm3grin2orange:

When I was their age I was always outside fishin',riding my bike or just haveing fun but I was never in the house all day.We didn't get our first color tv until I was 13!thumbs2:

robflanker
04-07-2009, 03:22 PM

They are in 5th grade keep in mind...